351 2V 4 Barrel Carb Choice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas280z

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 H code FMX Grabber Blue with 5W Deluxe White Interior
I just got back from Barrett-Jackson, and that has me itching to get ready for spring. Unfortunately, the Mach 1 is in storage, but I can start getting parts.

Currently the car has the original 1971 351 2V, with an Edelbrock 2750 4 barrel Performer intake and an old Performer 1406 carb. The car has 3.00 gears and an FMX, if that makes any difference. I may go to 3.25 down the road, still undecided.

This is my first go around with a carburetor. I was having a little issue getting it to run right last fall as the weather got colder. The carb that is on the car at the moment originally came on my Dad's 67 Cougar and sat in the garage for a few years before being re-purposed. I do not know what tuning was done to the carb before we got it, as far as jets or metering rods goes.

I want to get a new carb, so I know what I am starting with as a base-line. I plan to stick with Edelbrock, as everything is currently set up for it (throttle, Lokar kickdown, etc...). I realize that I can probably get the current carb to run right with enough time and patience, but being my first real experience I am more comfortable working with something fresh out of the box. I will probably attempt a rebuild and cleaning on the old carb eventually, but being in Western New York, I want to maximize my fun time with the car while the weather is nice.

I am trying to decide between two carbs.

An Edelbrock Performer 1405. Essentially a manual chock and performance tuned 1406 (current carb) which I would install an electric choke on. It would still be 600 CFM.

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/edl-1405

Or an Edelbrock Thunder 1806, which I understand is pretty much a 650 CFM Performer with tunable vacuum secondaries. It comes pre-installed with an electric choke and I believe is also more performance oriented on the out of the box tune.

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/edl-1806/overview/

If this was the end of my plans, I would stick with the 600 CFM, as that seems to be the sweet spot for a stock engine, from what I have read. But that is not my plan, over the next 2 years I would like to pull the engine and install a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads (61629) and likely an appropriate cam and headers. I also want to install a Ram Air setup, another reason for sticking with the Edelbrock, as I have read that it fits well with the Ram Air setup. With these upgrades, I am worried that I will have to up the carb game, to take advantage. If I am going to speed $350+ right now on a carb, I would like it to handle all future upgrades as well.

I guess my question is this… would a 650 CFM carb be too much overkill on an otherwise stock engine? Would it be right for my planned modifications? If the 650 CFM will be better long term, and not cause problems when stock, I would like to go with that. On the flip side, would 650 CFM be overkill even with my planned mods? I don’t want to over carb the engine. I see people going up to 750 CFM with 4V heads. The Edelbrock heads are a good mix between the 2V and 4V, with higher compression like the 4V, but valves closer in size to the 2V; that is why I am thinking the 650 CFM should be a good fit. I am not overly concerned with gas mileage, as this is a summer car. I am focusing on smiles per gallon.

quick fuel sl650vsf.

you will likely have to tune any new edelbrock, so you might as well tune the carb you have instead and save 400.00.

Both carbs I am looking at are vacuum secondaries.

I am leaning towards a new carb because it will give me a better baseline as a novice. If something weird is going on with my current carb, or I screw something up during the rebuild/cleaning, it may take me a while to figure out. It is worth the $400 to me to expedite the process come spring. I realize that I will likely need to tweak whatever I get a little, that does not scare me nearly as much. The old carb will be rebuilt eventually, we have more than enough projects going on, it will not go to waste.

I looked for a quickfuel 650CFM SL, did not see one on their site. They do have a 600 CFM. But I already have all the hardware necessary to make an Edelbrock plug and play (throttle linkage adaptors, kickdown cable...) and I have seen testimonials that it will work with the Ram Air in the setup that I plan. Unless I have missed something big, I plan to stick with Edelbrock.

I have a 351 2v that is in the process of being and will end up "slightly warmed over" Headers, Pertronix III, Cam & timing set. I am planning a 750 CFM with a Holley street dominator intake. Going to go with the Street Demon 1904. The primaries are a little smaller than a standard 750 carb to still get that low RPM throttle response and make up for being a single plane intake. I am also ditching my leaking FMX for a T5. Just some food for thought. Don't always go with the "Carb Calculators" you see online. Those are geared towards GM's and others. The Cleveland is a very different engine and can handle a lot more carb than others of the same displacement.

jas280z,

The carb. that barnett468 wrote in his post is really interesting. I may look one day into one to replace my Holley.

Check this out >

http://www.carburetion.com/calc.asp

Stock 351 with 5500 RPM,s

kbvk6.jpg

Mild 351 with 5500 Rpm's

244bses.jpg

The Slayer 450 CFM would probably run really well, but may loose its legs at top end.

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/carburetors/street/slayer-series/slayer-series-carburetor-450cfm-vs.html

The Slayer 600 cfm would probably the on to go with.

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/carburetors/street/slayer-series/slayer-series-carburetor-600cfm-vs.html

Keep us posted on which direction you go in.

mustang7173 :bravo:

Latest posts

Back