351 Cleveland 2V awful noise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy a sweet crate motor here in the states for less than $5,000 USD. Rebuilds are expensive, but it would stay numbers matching. Personally I would move it and pay to have the engine rebuilt if that really is necessary.

This is a typical problem with Fords. It's the distributor not sealing and oil blowing around it, hence no oil pressure.

I used to work for World, we'd get this call every so often. Forgot the exact reason, I'm getting old. But it's the way the distributor is seated. I'll look up some of my old stuff see if I can find the reason. It's not a big deal.

put the old distributor back in, start there.

Google ford distributor oil pressure there's quite a bit on it. No major problem except the distributor isn't in right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok but now I have a big problem

They are offering me 11,000 USD for buy my Stang instead of 20,000 because here in Italy where I like the mechanic told me that the bearings are don, the cranckshaft and the camshaft too and I have to rebuild the engine. I'm not a mechanic but I think that they are lying to me to buy the car a lower price.

They pulled out the oil pan and inside there was litte of aluminium powder probably from the bearings that worked not lubricated because the shaft of the oil pump was broked so didn't lubricate well and for this reason I've heard the awful noise like a friction but I didn't drive the car, just crank and stop in the garage, so my question is : " Is the engine really gone and I must to rebuild or not ? ".

When I pulled out the oil pan I've seen the rods really dry and with no oil like you can see in the picures that I've posted looking inside the hole once that I pulled out the distributor, but maybe if I changed the oil pump the engine could be all righ

I'm very confused I dunno what I have to do

They want your car. Ship it to the States, put a $300 known-good, used Craigslist 351C in it, and enjoy the car.

Keep the questionable motor around and have a PROPER shop look at it when you come here.

-Kurt

My doubt is if the engine could be really damaged as they told me and the other doubt is if this Stang worth to invest the shipping to Los Angeles from Italy ( 2000 USD ), pay the custom duties, fix it in the USA spending other money or maybe it would be better take the money ( 11,000 USD ), immdiately then in the US, looking for a better conditioned Stang

I know that they are telling me horrible things about the engine to scared me and decrease the price and I wonder if it could be possible that the engine was really destroyed as they say

They want your car. Ship it to the States, put a $300 known-good, used Craigslist 351C in it, and enjoy the car.

Keep the questionable motor around and have a PROPER shop look at it when you come here.

-Kurt

My doubt is if the engine could be really damaged as they told me and the other doubt is if this Stang worth to invest the shipping to Los Angeles from Italy ( 2000 USD ), pay the custom duties, fix it in the USA spending other money or maybe it would be better take the money ( 11,000 USD ), immdiately then in the US, looking for a better conditioned Stang

I know that they are telling me horrible things about the engine to scared me and decrease the price and I wonder if it could be possible that the engine was really destroyed as they say
If you have a good, solid car, the $2,000 is easily worth it.

$11k can buy you something nice here, but you'll spend months trying to find it, and probably wind up disappointed at the end.

Bring it over and then let the forum support group in your area help you out.

-Kurt

Thanks a lot Kurt for your support

Here in Italy now it's 4:48 am and I cannot sleep keep on thinking about my "cursed Stang"

I was reading manuals, surfing the web about the problem that I'n facing with my 351 Cleveland engine and I've discovered that it was something common in the Ford smaall blocks engines that the oil pump shaft could twisted causing problems but I was thinking at the same time that maybe if I will change the oil pump, the car it will run great or maybe not because the fact that I started to hear the grinding noise it was the signal that a bad damage was done in the bearings, camshaft, crankshaft, cylinders...

Somethime I think to mysef sell this Stang also for less then forget about it ( for me sell it it would be like die ) and buy it another in Los Angeles and I think at the same time to change the pump by myself and see what's happen. Do you think that my engine could be really be broked since I've heard this grinding noise and for the reason that I've seen the rod dry ( no oil ) or maybe could be something not so bad since I haven't found in the oil pan big matal pieces like washers but just powder ?

Thanks again

Dallas

If you have a good, solid car, the $2,000 is easily worth it.

$11k can buy you something nice here, but you'll spend months trying to find it, and probably wind up disappointed at the end.

Bring it over and then let the forum support group in your area help you out.

-Kurt

At the end of the story and for respect of the Stang and for the USA that I love so much, I told the potential buyers go and f...yourself

I will try to replace the oil pump by myself but my beloved Stang will stay with me

Do you think that it will be difficult to replace it ?

I have a jack and will try to lift the car

I've already pull out the oil pan and I've found a little bit of metallic powder on the bottom, maybe of the wearing bearigs but I will try

These persons told me about possible cylinders and pistons damaging but I don't think so, because when I started to hear the grinding sound in the engine I stopped using the car immediately

It's true that I've seen the first rod very dry once I pulled out the oil pan, but I don't think that the engine was gone

What do yuo think ?

Thanks

Dallas

You won't know till you try. The crank, rod and cam bearings expect there to be pressured oil. You won't really know if you have spun a bearing until you swap out the oil pump and fire it up. If you have 'spun' a bearing it will continue to knock. A long time ago I ran one low on oil and it survivied. The fact that you stopped it quickly is a good thing.

Hi to the Awful noise post! You might want to check to see that the base of the distributor is resting on the block deck so it will engage the oil pump drive to the oil pump. This providing that the proper distributor was used (351W or 351C). Hello

I have a 1971 Mustang with 351 Cleveland engine 2V H code

My mechanic just changed the distributor and now the car running, but there is a terrible noise. He told me that since he put a sort of grease on the distibutor cap to have a better electric conduction, maybe some of this grease went on some belt, but the noise it's more than a squealing, it's louder and when I accelerate in neutral, it seems to disappear but at idle it's very loud and it's something that goes in the same synchronism of the engine rotation but sometimes seems metallic

Could you please gime me your opinion about this matter ?

I'm from Italy and here it's a nightmare found a mechanic expert in V8, my Stang is killing me here in Italy

Help me please

Thanks a lot

Back