351 Cleveland engine parts and worth

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

501MACH1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 (finished)
1969 Mustang Mach 1 ( Project )
1965 Falcon (project )
[url=https://ibb.co/gxaDdp][img]https://preview.ibb.co/i8mar9/055.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://ibb.co/b7KBW9][img]https://preview.ibb.co/mujOdp/029.jpg[/img][/url]
I have  a complete engine that I pulled out of a mustang in about 1983..It had a holman moody tag riveted to the radiator shroud,,, It appears to have either been a boss or Ho.. I am trying to determine some value.. I have closed chamber 4bbl heads with FoMoCo screw in studs and guide plates,(not for fulcrum rockers) , the pistons seems to be TRW forgings with Ford part numbers ,,the block is a four bolt main.  the intake is a      buddy bar casting for a spreadbore carb . I checked on the cam when I took it apart and it was a cam ground for Bud Moore (  H/M was still operating back then, but barely )  Just trying  to figure out what this might have been originally and get an approximate value . Thanks

Can you provide more info, like the block casting number and date code, any VIN stamp, intake part number, what distributor and carb it has, head casting numbers, etc.

Steve

The value of old iron is what a buyer will give you/WHAT you don't value! IF you plan a "stoker" (Nomiker 501) ....and don't have the cash, you can sell/trade so you can move forward with "your plan".

Usually the trick is finding someone that will travel, buy and haul (so you don't have to part out/crate and ship)! Sure lots will talk to you, ask all kinds of questions and your efforts don't produce money. BEST thing is to find a buyer ASAP and sell before no one wants, can afford or the next ISSUE that effects cash hits. (you and buyers)

IF an older HM build it could have some neat mods to the block BUT it could also have some mods that make it harder to say "mount ALt or PS" on the water pump. (Probably a DOZX pump) Other thing can be the roller bearing fuel pump eccentric like we sell. All of these items sell for $100 USED.

PERSONALLY I only deal in 1971 vintage iron, as it helps with restoration of R codes. MANY might love but if it is a D2AE 4 bolt I don't travel for. (Have enough of those blocks- will never use ) Other than the caps.

Mark

P.S. Actually I am traveling next week to PA, NJ and NY for Cleveland parts ....SINCE you don't have a location (other than NE) listed IF YOU are on the I76 Corridor let me know. (Always travel with money)

Last edited by a moderator:
Holman Moody is still in business. I talked with Lee Holman back in April they still build engines and cars for people.

Does the block have screw in core plugs? Also if a NASCAR block will not have the typical casting numbers.

I would be interested if it a NASCAR set up. I have no idea on price. I do have a card from a guy in Charlotte that has lots of the NASCAR stuff, NOS Boss 9 blocks even. 

I have attached a Ford Instruction sheet for some NASCAR block modifications. Back then Yates and Elliott built the better 351 engines.

Pics of everything would be a plus also.

Note the core plugs are not tapered plugs but have a seal. Tapered plugs stress the block.

The Boss casting number would be DOAE-6015-L Or DOAE-L and need a 70 or 71 casting date to be correct.

Also is there a partial VIN# stamped on the block on the left side just below the deck on the rear? If so it was a production block and not a racing block.

There is someone trying to sell what they say is an Aussie 351 block on ebay for $799 with free shipping. But it does not have 4 bolt mains and does not have screw in core plugs that I thought they had. Beware.

FordInstShtM-6010-R451R452.pdf

Attachments

• FordInstShtM-6010-R451R452.pdf
    89 KB · Views: 16
Can you provide more info, like the block casting number and date code, any VIN stamp, intake part number, what distributor and carb it has, head casting numbers, etc.

Steve
Yes, I can get numbers from the block and heads, the carb is long gone, can't remember what I did with it.. the dist is present ,, I'll try to get it and get back ,,it might be a while, the engine is at my parents house and I only randomly go there ,,I just feel I will never do anything with this stuff and might as well sell it . thanks

Holman Moody is still in business. I talked with Lee Holman back in April they still build engines and cars for people.

Does the block have screw in core plugs? Also if a NASCAR block will not have the typical casting numbers.

I would be interested if it a NASCAR set up. I have no idea on price. I do have a card from a guy in Charlotte that has lots of the NASCAR stuff, NOS Boss 9 blocks even. 

I have attached a Ford Instruction sheet for some NASCAR block modifications. Back then Yates and Elliott built the better 351 engines.

Pics of everything would be a plus also.

Note the core plugs are not tapered plugs but have a seal. Tapered plugs stress the block.

The Boss casting number would be DOAE-6015-L Or DOAE-L and need a 70 or 71 casting date to be correct.

Also is there a partial VIN# stamped on the block on the left side just below the deck on the rear? If so it was a production block and not a racing block.

There is someone trying to sell what they say is an Aussie 351 block on ebay for $799 with free shipping. But it does not have 4 bolt mains and does not have screw in core plugs that I thought they had. Beware.
Yes  I live really close  to what is Holman Moody, but it isn't anything resembling what it was years ago.. no the block doesn't have screw in freeze plugs .. it did have what seem to be forged pistons with Ford part numbers, a cast crank and the heads are 4bbl with closed chambers and ford guide plates and screw in studs, of course someone could have made that upgrade.  The intake is aluminum buddy bar for speadbore carb,, I seem to remember some of this stuff had '72 part numbers so maybe it was an HO351.. I called HM back in probably '83 and they said the cam was ground with a group of cams for Bud Moore???  I still have the fan guard with the HM tag on it ..My block is probably just an American 4 bolt block, but not sure what they came in.. Some say they were in Torino's too  Who knows ..I bought it in a 1969 mustang in 1982 and sold the car and kept the engine thinking I would build it someday ,,

Let me know since I am in NC I can travel to you maybe.
Since Ford doesn't stamp numbers , what/where on the block and heads are the numbers I'm looking for ?   And what did a spreadbore aluminum intake come on?  I believe I remember a D2__ -  number on the intake, so would it be for a CJ or H.O.  engine ?

Since Ford doesn't stamp numbers , what/where on the block and heads are the numbers I'm looking for ?   And what did a spreadbore aluminum intake come on?  I believe I remember a D2__ -  number on the intake, so would it be for a CJ or H.O.  engine ?
Might be easier if you Text/Call (so you can do this in real time and your convience) 517-871-7630

Mark

P.S.  Even though I said "traveling the I76 Corridor"   NC isn't out of the question.   I only buy 1971 parts....others might be interested in 1972 and later stuff.

Ford did stamp numbers on the blocks for cars coming off the line. They stamp the partial VIN# on the rear of the block just below the left head up near the deck. Most are crooked and twisted. I do have one that is all nice and neat.

The block casting numbers are located on the rear bottom of the block up near where the oil pan bolts. 2 bolt blocks have same number as 4 bolt unless it is boss.

This web site has all of the casting number info and is best I have found.

http://mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html

Go to the left side and pic what you want to look for, Blocks, Heads etc.

On the intake if it is aluminum and Ford it might be something from their Motorsports line there were I think three different ones offered. Aluminum never came on assembly line car except for Boss and it will be D1ZX-9425-CA.

Take some pics and post.

Ford did stamp numbers on the blocks for cars coming off the line. They stamp the partial VIN# on the rear of the block just below the left head up near the deck. Most are crooked and twisted. I do have one that is all nice and neat.

The block casting numbers are located on the rear bottom of the block up near where the oil pan bolts. 2 bolt blocks have same number as 4 bolt unless it is boss.

This web site has all of the casting number info and is best I have found.

http://mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html

Go to the left side and pic what you want to look for, Blocks, Heads etc.

On the intake if it is aluminum and Ford it might be something from their Motorsports line there were I think three different ones offered. Aluminum never came on assembly line car except for Boss and it will be D1ZX-9425-CA.

Take some pics and post 
  I will have to get over to my parents house and check out the heads and block for numbers.. I bought this car in about 1981, so I believe this is all factory stuff, not sure there was Motorsport that early.. But I seem to recall the pistons and intake having D2__ part numbers which would be '72  .Forged pistons with D2 numbers ,,I'll try to look soon   THanks

Back