351c 4v Rebuild and Upgrade

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machlovin

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
I am a newbie when it comes to engine upgrades. I love learning, and value your experienced opinions.

My 351c 4v needs a top end rebuild, I figured while I'm at it (or rather a good family friend and I are at it) then we might as well just rebuild the whole thing and have the peace of mind knowing it's done right. The engine was rebuilt about 20+ years ago.

My goal for the rebuild/upgrade parts is to keep it under $2K (parts only). I want to use used parts where it makes sense. The biggest thing that I'm in dark about is making sure all the upgrades work well "in harmony" with each other to produce the best performance gains. My goal is to have a reliable engine primarily for the street/cruising that has a consistent power band. I'm not going to be racing the car, except maybe at a red light once in a while.

Right now the car has a holly 650 carb, a holly street performer intake, an old MSD ignition coil, and a set of headers and a stall converter at around 2K rpm. The transmission is a C6.

If you could recommend or help me craft a "build list" of parts then that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
We were just talking about this on here somewhere. Maybe in the wiki section. George Pence has written a great 351c build article on the pantera forum. I think that was referenced as well on our site in that thread. Sorry I'm not much help tonight.

At any rate welcome!

After some research it is clear that building an engine up is not cheap... I think my best option would be to take it apart, see what actually needs to be replaced, price it out... and maybe focus on getting quality internals first. Stuff that can be bolted on after, like an intake manifold or carb, can be upgraded later.

After some research it is clear that building an engine up is not cheap... I think my best option would be to take it apart, see what actually needs to be replaced, price it out... and maybe focus on getting quality internals first. Stuff that can be bolted on after, like an intake manifold or carb, can be upgraded later.
Good plan...Never set a price...It could be less or more than you expect"usualy a bit more"...Could have your heads checked out and they are toast...Cracked or need all new seats and stems...Block mite be over bored...and have to get another block."god forbid"..You just never know till you get in there..If you plan on runing on the street...Make sure to keep compression 10.5 and under..So you can still run pump gas.

In the middle of building mine right now...I got a holley 750 carb vacum sec....4v heads....runing 10.5 compression..a dual pattern hydrolic cam comp cam..5.30 lift..280 duration...edel dual plain manifold..hooker headers...According to jegs techs and my desktop dyno...I should get around 430hp or more..Complete kit with Camshaft, Lifters, Timing Chain & Gears, Valve Springs, Retainers, Locks, Assembly Lube, was around 400 bucks from JEGS...Lots of room to play with a cleveland motor...But ya...First thing you should do...Is take apart the motor and see what it really needs before you buy something for a motor than may be toast from the start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Machlovin,

I have a fresh 351C bottom end with .020 bore, flat top pistons, balanced,etc & 4V heads w/ closed chambers & SS valves that you could purchase for under 2K. It is ready to go now and we all know how long engine machine shop work takes !!!

Let me know. Send me a PM.

Thanks, Jay

Back