351c exhaust gasket donut question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72HCODE

"My World is Fire and Blood"
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1.
Question does the dual exhaust on a 351 Cleveland with boss manifolds use a doughnut exhaust gasket between the exhaust manifold and the H pipe?

I can not find mention of one. my exhaust pipe is flanged to accept the flair on the manifolds I have, I never used a gasket there before but I know I have a small leak from that mating point, plan is to use some exhaust sealant at that point unless there really is a gasket designed for it.. If there is one I need a part number for it.

I found a C9ZZ-9450-D gasket but there is no way it would fit the manifold and pipe I have.

I have never seen a donut gasket on a 351c exhaust manifold. To stop leaks I put a floor jack under the pipe right at the bend and add slight up pressure. I tighten the flange nuts with the jack in place and walla, the leak is gone.

Question does the dual exhaust on a 351 Cleveland with boss manifolds use a doughnut exhaust gasket between the exhaust manifold and the H pipe?

I can not find mention of one. my exhaust pipe is flanged to accept the flair on the manifolds I have, I never used a gasket there before but I know I have a small leak from that mating point, plan is to use some exhaust sealant at that point unless there really is a gasket designed for it.. If there is one I need a part number for it.

I found a C9ZZ-9450-D gasket but there is no way it would fit the manifold and pipe I have.

No doughnut except on police cars.:p A small amount of RTV on both mating surfaces, tighten, and let it completely cure. It won't leak and it won't burn out. Same for header gaskets. Chuck

Thanks for confirmation.

I used high temp ext sealer and finished the exhaust today.. 2 projects down. Yippy.

No doughnut except on police cars.:p A small amount of RTV on both mating surfaces, tighten, and let it completely cure. It won't leak and it won't burn out. Same for header gaskets. Chuck

I found the metal to metal seal technique required excessive pressure tightening on the exhaust stud nut so I purchased some bulk pieces of exhaust gasket from summit and cut out a doughnut shaped piece of gasket and placed it over the end of the exh manifold and tightened the pipe over the gasket and got a good seal with moderate pressure on the stud nut.

Back