351C Intake and carb choices

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you were to raise the air cleaner above the hood, you could construct an air dam to seal off the area between the hole in the hood and the air cleaner. That would eliminate the issue of interfering with air flow through the radiator. One thing to consider is rain or washing your car....open hood scoops allow your air filter and engine to be exposed to these element and is generally not desirable. Most of us probably don't drive in the rain, so I's likely a moot point.

Another thought is to use the ram air setup to seal off the unwanted air flow and go ahead and put your big scoop on.
Good point. I guess I did not consider all that. Given that this is my daily driver and I live in Washington sooo rain is a common occurence here.

I really do want to cut a hole into my hood for the look. That air cleaner cool. Would 4bbl carbs work better than dual 2bbl carbs?
A single 4 barrel will perform better overall than two 2 barrel carburetors and eliminate synchronizing the carburetors. Two 4 barrel carburetors aren't advisable for a mild build daily driver.

I really do want to cut a hole into my hood for the look. That air cleaner cool. Would 4bbl carbs work better than dual 2bbl carbs?
A single 4 barrel will perform better overall than two 2 barrel carburetors and eliminate synchronizing the carburetors. Two 4 barrel carburetors aren't advisable for a mild build daily driver.
Good to know. Maybe I will save some cash for a while so I can get a shaker scoop after all.

Shaker, and ram air, hood scoops are designed so rain/water drains out of the air cleaner housing prior to the filter element, unlike exposed and unprotected open filters, as basstrix pointed out.

One thing you'll have to take into consideration is the height of the intake manifold you select and space between the top of the carburetor and the hood for everything to fit.

You can always use a stock air cleaner as a base to construct your own unique hood scoop.

Shaker, and ram air, hood scoops are designed so rain/water drains out of the air cleaner housing prior to the filter element, unlike exposed and unprotected open filters, as basstrix pointed out.

One thing you'll have to take into consideration is the height of the intake manifold you select and space between the top of the carburetor and the hood for everything to fit.

You can always use a stock air cleaner as a base to construct your own unique hood scoop.
Know any good intake carb combos that would take the shaker scoop easily?

Because shaker scoops were not installed on 717273s you're not going to be able to find much on them.

I would start with intakes that work with ram air hoods, I'm guessing that underhood clearance is similar between 70s and 717273s. There have a lot of discussions about what fits ram air hoods in our forums. You should be able to find several by searching the forum. I believe most low rise (like Edelbrock Performer) and mid rise (like Blue Thunder) dual plane intakes should work.

Carburetors are pretty much the same height, including FI throttle bodies, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Because shaker scoops were not installed on 717273s you're not going to be able to find much on them.

I would start with intakes that work with ram air hoods, I'm guessing that underhood clearance is similar between 70s and 717273s. There have a lot of discussions about what fits ram air hoods in our forums. You should be able to find several by searching the forum. I believe most low rise (like Edelbrock Performer) and mid rise (like Blue Thunder) dual plane intakes should work.

Carburetors are pretty much the same height, including FI throttle bodies, so that shouldn't be a concern.
Right on. I guess it is time to hit the world wide web to see what I can find! Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Back