351C Stroker / TKO 600 bellhousing question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I am in the middle of stroking my engine to 408 plus mods and installing a TKO600. I expect my engine to be producing between 450 to 500hp. I am purchasing most of the parts to install the TKO600 from Modern Driveline - they offer a very complete kit. One of the questions that has come up is the use of the aluminum (MD-401-1401) or steel bellhousing (MD-401-6060). According to them I am right at the point where I may need the steel bellhousing. However, the QuickTime bellhousing is about $350 more than their aluminum billet. Does any of you have experience or any insight that can help with my decision? Is there a risk at higher horsepower for the clutch/flywheel to fail and go though the bellhousing? The end plan is to run fat street tires with a locker, so not all the power will be able to be transferred to the ground.

I'll be running a 408w with approx 500 hp and an upgraded tremec 3550. I'm doing the cable conversion and a Lakewood bell housing. I also have an aluminum bellhousing in case the headers don't clear the Lakewood. I did spring for an sfi flywheel. Personally I'd do the steel for sake of mind if funds allow.

I have looked into this myself. I am also going to run a tko600. I have a mcleod extreme street clutch kit with a hydraulic clutch setup. I will be running a 438 clevor with about 650hp and 600 ft lbs tq. I'll be using a bellhousing out of a 92 mustang 5.0. A lot of guys on fox body chat rooms are also using stock bellhousing with turbo setups. A steel scatter shield bellhousing is a must if you plan on racing the car on a regular basis and/or spinning above 6500rpm. Even then, as long as you use a top quality clutch set and a billet flywheel, I don't see any reason why a stock bellhousing won't work on a street car. Just my .02

After much thought I decided to go with the QuickTime bell housing. Yes, it is more expensive, but I am not going to worry about it whenever I push the car to the limits. The Lakewood alternative was a few bucks cheaper but weighing 40 lbs. The QuickTime weighs 20 lbs.

Thank you for all the replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I'm late here and I'm guessing you have it squared away by now but I've discussed this at length with the guys at MD and the correct steel bell housing that will eliminate the need for a spacer for the TKO 600 is the Lakewood 15203. I have yet to install my setup but I'm not sure if you will need to shave a little for the headers but...

Sorry I'm late here and I'm guessing you have it squared away by now but I've discussed this at length with the guys at MD and the correct steel bell housing that will eliminate the need for a spacer for the TKO 600 is the Lakewood 15203. I have yet to install my setup but I'm not sure if you will need to shave a little for the headers but...
What spacer are you referring to? I am confused. They recommend the QuickTime.I have not yet installed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back