Bellhousing question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
I have a TKO 600 that will be going in soon and I'm starting to wonder if I should just give myself piece of mind and get a quicktime bellhousing? I currently have the aluminum TKO one now. My power should just around 350-400FWHP, but could be more down the road when I rebuild. Just wasn't sure if it's over kill? I know I can't put a price on my legs and feet so I guess that answers my question....:whistling:

Do you have a billet flywheel?

As long as you're not dumping the clutch at 5500 rpm, I think you are safe with what you have. If you just want peace of mind and you already have the transmission out, Ford racing sells a billet steel flywheel for about 200 bucks. Make sure you get the 28 oz imbalance flywheel unless you're rotating assembly is internally balanced, that if that's the case get the zero balance flywheel. Two different part numbers.

So I just did some browsing on the internet. It looks like you can get it through Amazon for 93 bucks. It's made by a company called speed master and the part number is PCE 229.1009. I had to look at the description because I couldn't believe it was so cheap but it is indeed a billet steel flywheel

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you're not dumping the clutch at 5500 rpm, I think you are safe with what you have. If you just want peace of mind and you already have the transmission out, Ford racing sells a billet steel flywheel for about 200 bucks. Make sure you get the 28 oz imbalance flywheel unless you're rotating assembly is internally balanced, that if that's the case get the zero balance flywheel. Two different part numbers.

So I just did some browsing on the internet. It looks like you can get it through Amazon for 93 bucks. It's made by a company called speed master and the part number is PCE 229.1009. I had to look at the description because I couldn't believe it was so cheap but it is indeed a billet steel flywheel
The motor is stock so is it internally or externally balanced?

I'm about to list for sale a Centerforce billet flywheel and Centerforce clutch kit for a stock application at a cheap price (both under 100 miles use). I'm going a different direction. Send me a PM if you are interested.

If you do go aftermarket with your bellhousing, Quicktime won't give an offering with a 164 tooth flywheel. (that's what I had/have) You would need to purchase one from Lakewood. If, however, you have a 157 tooth version (apparently more common) you could get a Quicktime. If you purchase a billet steel aftermarket flywheel, it would probably be a 157 tooth variety, unless you specifically look for the 164.

Does anyone know what models got the 164 tooth versus the 157 and why?

Back