351C Timing cover

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mchandford

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 "M" Code. 351C and 4 speed toploader.
Would like to get people's thoughts on the 351C timing cover.

Last March I had the pleasure of worrying about my brand new (to me) '71 Mach 1. I had coolant in my engine oil and needed to find out why. I am not a mechanic so I had a shop take a look at it. After scratching our heads for about 4 days a crusty old tech got the good idea to check the timing cover behind the water pump. Turns out the cover had a 1/4" hole in it right behind the water pump. So I struggled to find a good one in little ol' Sandpoint, ID. turns out most parts stores don't carry this part. What's up with that? I talked to a performance shop in town and the proprietor said he had some (as in more than one) He sold me the best looking one for $20 bucks. I had the part put in and lo-and-behold... it was warped and would not seal.

Here comes my question: what do you guys think of aftermarket aluminum timing covers for the 351C? The only replacement I could find in my jam was one made of billet aluminum and it cost me $85. After a week for shipping it was installed at the shop and got me back on the road. I don't like how they sealed the cover. Blue RTV I think. They didn't clean it up like I would have, and I had to bring the car back to have all the bolts tightened 3 months later.

I am wondering if anyone has used an aluminum cover and if so have you had any issues? Should I plan to replace this and if so what is the best way to get it to seal better?

Hello mchandford,

Dude, I did not know that there was an aluminum 351C Timing cover available. I did a Google search and found a steel one from Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SES-5-65-04-201 $128.95

I do not think the aluminum one would cause any problems. The 298 and 302 engine timing covers are aluminum. I do know that some of the bolts to the water pump through the plate to the block need sealant on the bolt threads to help prevent leakage. Also, I like to use the Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242®. Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. This will help keep engine vibration from loosening the bolts.

mustang7173

Hello mchandford,

Well, looks like there is a free steel 351C timing cover on the market place, pay it forward section.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
The hole you refer to is a common occurance caused by water pump impeller bearing wear causing cavitation. Also if the coolant used was of questionable purity (iron water) it will assist in the corrosion. Best things I know to reduce the issue:

-Use good quality coolant and water

-Don't overtighten the water pump belt. Excessive side load destroys the bearing in the pump and creates cavitation down the road.

-As Mustang7173 pointed out some bolts require sealant. Use the good stuff like the Loctite.

As far as a replacement.

For heat and longevity. You can't beat STEEL.

If anyone else needs a used steel one I have a box of them

One other thing - the lower half of the cover will not install correctly without dropping the oil pan slightly.

Aluminum Windsor timing covers may not give trouble, but they are thick, cast pieces which will be less prone to uneven expansion and contraction. The Cleveland piece, by comparison, is sheet stock which could conceivably warp ever so slightly in aluminum - but just enough to give you water pump leaks.

Either way, I'd use gasket shellac when installing the gasket between the cover and water pump, at any rate. Less workable than RTV during later removal, but more reliable for the long term. Just in case. As for the cover to the block, I believe there's no way around a bit of RTV at the corners of the oil pan seam.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good guys, I appreciate all the info. I think I am going to keep an eye on it for now. When I get settled in Seattle area I will likely make a plan to pull this off, replace with steel and put it together in a 'cleaner' way than they did.

Back