351w top end kits

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOrtega0073

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
So I have been looking up into the top end kits but was trying to see if anyone has knowledge on the different brands I saw Edlebrock, Dart, and Trick FLow. I am trying to see which brand to go with for my 351w .30 over bore. I am just trying to find out what would be good for my 71 mach application. I decided to go with 4.11 gears and get hyper pistons and a ati super damper along with the top end kit. I know the edlebrock rpm kit says itll be about 440hp, Which is about the goal I wanted for my Mach, but since its at a long block now would be the time to see if i can go higher in hp or stick with it there. I lack some knowledge so I come for help all is appreciated thanks!

Ok I found this custom kit. I have been trying to get ahold of the guy for more info. for $1600 I think I can get something going with him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271448691062&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Last edited by a moderator:
Anytime you build an engine, you need to ask yourself a few questions.

What do I really want out of this car? Quick stop light to stop light action? 10 second 1/4 mile times? Road racer handling, and a better top end? Will I EVER go to the track, or will the car see regular track visits?

I spent 12 years in the Air National Guard, and was able to get deployed several times. I spent a lot of my free time planning the builds for my three Cougars..

My 68 Cougar has Edelbrock heads, cam and dual quad air gap intake, with a 3.50 gear. After learning the lessons of valve train geometry the hard way, the car runs great, but with a T-5 trans, the car is under geared.

My 69 Cougar, has Trick Flow heads, and a retro fitted roller cam. I bought the heads in 2005, and didn't get around to installing them until 2012. So, they were 7 years old, but still brand new in the box. One of the valves in the heads was bent, along the stem.

Hopefully for trick flow a rare occurrence. However, since I had paid for them so long ago, there was no warranty. I was out of pocket for a new valve, plus the penalty of time, for the install.

My 60 Cougar came with a 351W, and now it is a .030/.010 over on the rods and mains, with the trick flow heads. ( I think this is the PN#)

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-51410002-M61&autoview=sku

After having learned the hard way about valve train geometry, I tried to outsmart myself, and got this cam kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comp-Ford-351w-Xtreme-264-Retro-Hyd-Roller-Camshaft-Cam-K-kit-Mild-Performance-/301028346481?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4616b00a71&vxp=mtr

Keep in mind that years passed, between ordering the heads, and the cam kit.

The car has a 3.89 rear gear ratio, and now a T5 transmission also. It will never see a road course, and only spirited street driving.

OK, maybe a few trips to the dragstrip.

Here is my point.

Trick flow heads, require longer than stock push rods, no matter what. So the ones that came in my kit are no good. Neither are the springs or retainers. Kind of defeated the idea behind getting the kit.

So, what are your plans for the car? The heads, cam, intake, and rear differential all have to work together. Plus a few things I haven't gotten to here yet.

I have a daily driver already so this car won't see too too much city driving. Just some cruises here and there. I do visit the track at least once a month or so it would be cool to take it a few times. I have decided to maybe wait on a power package since I have a long block with a $1000 budget in the motor. For now, I have some summit parts that I can bolt on to get it running and moving.

Summit manifold

600cfm carb

And damper

All summit racing

Now before I do that, do you think there's another route i can go with that budget?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would look into an exhaust system as well as your other mods you have planned. Longtube headers, 2 1/2" pipe, thrush turbo mufflers and a mid pipe if you choose would help out alot. I went true duals on my car with that setup and it sounds very nice without being loud, plus the car makes good power with this system. The whole exhaust cost me around 300.00 and was well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Windsors. I would say to take a look at AFR heads with the Edelbrock Air Gap intake. They work together very nicely. You will spend a lot of money to get a Set of Edelbrock heads to do what AFR's do out of the box (I've had AFR-185's, 205's as well as Edelbrock heads). As for 440hp, it will not be difficult. 351w with AFR's, air gap, 226/232 @ .050", Hedman mid-length headers 2.5" exhaust with an X-pipe should get you right there. Very streetable..

Back