What did you do today instead of working on your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My morning was spent troubleshooting an air handler blower that stopped blowing earlier in the week. Turned out to be a faulty control board. It wasn't too hot in the attic, but by the time I'll able to install the replacement, that may not be the case.

This past month has been rebuilding an axle for my C10. The old situation was pretty extreme. Factory 10 bolt open diff with 2.56:1 gears. Back in the day, I'm sure that did great on the highway. I have swapped in a 700r4 transission so now have an overdrive. Considering the factory tire size, diff ratio, OD ratio, lockup torque converter, and a 5000 rpm redline, this was setup to do 256MPH. Great for fuel mileage, less great for anything else.

I bought myself a 12bolt rear end and have spent the past month pulling it apart, cleaning it up, and rebuilding it. 3.73 gears, eaton truetrac carrier, all new bearings and seals, new drum brake guts, new shocks.

Yesterday I pulled the old axle out of my truck and got the 12bolt in place. Today I need to swap the u-joint in the driveshaft and bleed the brakes.

I took my father, mother and sister for a ride up and down the strip in my '72. I had reinstalled the front seats and seatbelts for the visit. It was awesome even though most of the other interior wasn't in yet. But the engine, suspension and steering updates all made for a much improved ride compared to previous. Great ride!

Back