351w

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang coupe complete restoration
just wanting sum opinions on what to do I have a 351w that has freshly been bored 40 over with forged pistons and the cam has 498 exhaust and 520 intake lift with hyd lifters the only thing I need for it is the heads intake and carb. is it worth trying to finish it I'm looking for 450hp or should I buy a crate motor and know for sure what I've got for sure I'm looking at maybe buying a crate 408w that dynos at 450hp for about 8000 dollars what are your opinions and should I go with roller rockers if I build the one I got?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think by building this one up, you'd be in it WAY under the 8k for the crate motor. Get some Victor Jr heads and a holley carb and that's still under 2k. I had a 302 crate motor in my 79 truck and 5 years later the crankshaft split in half. I would say after that experience I will no longer expect to know what I got in a crate motor. I'd say by building this one, you'll really know what you got in there!

I think by building this one up, you'd be in it WAY under the 8k for the crate motor. Get some Victor Jr heads and a holley carb and that's still under 2k. I had a 302 crate motor in my 79 truck and 5 years later the crankshaft split in half. I would say after that experience I will no longer expect to know what I got in a crate motor. I'd say by building this one, you'll really know what you got in there!
I was thinking about the elelbrock performer rpm heads intake and carb I just don't know what that will give me for hp

I think that you should build up your own vice a crate motor. Unless you know the builder really well you just don't know what you are getting. You should come in way under 8K by doing it yourself. Lots of parts for 351W so getting 450HP shouldn't be too hard.

I've heard numbers ranging from 50-60 hp on what a good flowing head will give you. I've heard good things about the performer RPM heads but here's a good comparison and dyno results for reference. AFR heads are supposedly the best for windsors from what I've researched.

http://www.airflowresearch.com/dyno.php

Take a look at the AFR-205 heads and an Edelbrock Air Gap intake. They will work well a 351w and still enough to handle a 408 stroker. A 351w with Edelbrock heads and an RPM performer intake with 224/232 cam will make 400hp.

thanks for the info guys i'm a little ways from doing the motor but getting closer other than the tail lights and rear bumper it's pretty well done from the doors back, interior is done so I will look into the heads and intake

Without knowing all the specs on the vehicle and intended use, it is hard to make specific recommendations. However, assuming street use and street gear the AFR 185s (P.N. 1388) would be my choice. Definitely use the roller rockers with hardened push rods cut to the length required to properly locate the rocker arms throughout cam rotation. Edelbrock Air Gap RPM with a 750 cfm Holley seems to be a good compromise between horsepower and street torque. The lift number you cited lead me to believe the cam may be too conservative for you goal of 450 HP at the flywheel. The quality of the machine work and attention to detail and precision during assembly makes the difference between being disappointed and over joyed.

Chuck

Yeah I think that cam will be much to small to make 450 hp,it is going to take a bit of rpms to get to that power level. Here is my combo in my 87 LX: .030" over 351w, 9.5 to 1 compression, fully ported and polished D00E heads, crane stud mount roller rockers, guideplates, hardened pushrods, Comp magnum 280 cam .512"/.512" lift, weiand stealth intake, 750 carb, headers and full exhaust. To me this combo feels nowhere near 450 hp, maybe 325-350 hp. I think you will need a cam with lift in the .600" range with 292* of duration to get there along with more cubic inches like a 393 or 408 stroker. Good luck with build.

called and talked to edelbrock and they said with the cam I have and the performer rpm heads and intake I would be looking somewhere in the 400 to 450 hp range I'm thinking that will be the way I go and get what I get out of it it will still be a lot better than the stock one I had in it and be close enough to what I want without spending 8k

I know you are considering the Edelbrocks but I would really consider the AFR's. Considering the price, you'll get more out if the AFR's than you will the Edelbrocks.. I went from Edelbrock to AFR in my Windsor and was very happy.

I know you are considering the Edelbrocks but I would really consider the AFR's. Considering the price, you'll get more out if the AFR's than you will the Edelbrocks.. I went from Edelbrock to AFR in my Windsor and was very happy.
I will look into them I have heard good things about the AFR's

Just from personal experience, I had a '95 mustang with a 383w (not a 393). It had milled Edelbrock heads (9:1 compression) and I traded them for a set of AFR-185's (cleaned up and port matched but so were the Edelbrocks). Not being milled, I actually lost some compression (ended up at at around 8.5:1). Changing nothing else but the heads, after tuning if course, I gained over 35hp at the wheels. Of course with the low compression, I added a Vortech supercharger and ended up with 550hp at the wheels and still passed smog (California).

Just from personal experience, I had a '95 mustang with a 383w (not a 393). It had milled Edelbrock heads (9:1 compression) and I traded them for a set of AFR-185's (cleaned up and port matched but so were the Edelbrocks). Not being milled, I actually lost some compression (ended up at at around 8.5:1). Changing nothing else but the heads, after tuning if course, I gained over 35hp at the wheels. Of course with the low compression, I added a Vortech supercharger and ended up with 550hp at the wheels and still passed smog (California).
Such a tale of woe :p Very Nice

Back