390 bigblock vs 351w smallblock

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks. I figured headers that fit a smaller engine bay would fit a larger one without at issues.

That sucks. I figured headers that fit a smaller engine bay would fit a larger one without at issues.
Oh, I see what you're saying... yes, in theory they should fit, but the '71-73 engine bay layout is different enough from the earlier models to make things difficult - I believe the brake MC and steering components (mainly driver side) are the main fitment issues. Don't ask me how I know!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I just want to stay with a 351w.. I will try to find a block to start from.. And I think the transmission will be a TKO, because as I can see with the setup I want for the engine, I will get around 500hp..

But what about that t5 transmission Ford Racing make? Is it enought to chance the clutch, or will the transmission still not be strong enought?
How are you planning to make 500 hp?

While I love the smoothness of a T5, there is not a single unit out there that can reliably handle over 400 ft-lbs of torque. I've had good luck with a non-TKO Tremec 3550 behind my supercharged 304. Generating slightly over 700 hp at the crank, I've not had any problems with that transmission in over 10 years.
My plan was to put a 408 stroker kit in it with a good cam, heads, intake manifold and all that.. I am deffently not an expert on this area, I am open for good advices to come in the right direction.. But I am reading all the different sites down all time to see which is the best way to go..

How much ft-lbs can the tremec 3550 handle, and where can I get one? :)

I think I just want to stay with a 351w.. I will try to find a block to start from.. And I think the transmission will be a TKO, because as I can see with the setup I want for the engine, I will get around 500hp..

But what about that t5 transmission Ford Racing make? Is it enought to chance the clutch, or will the transmission still not be strong enought?
How are you planning to make 500 hp?

While I love the smoothness of a T5, there is not a single unit out there that can reliably handle over 400 ft-lbs of torque. I've had good luck with a non-TKO Tremec 3550 behind my supercharged 304. Generating slightly over 700 hp at the crank, I've not had any problems with that transmission in over 10 years.
My plan was to put a 408 stroker kit in it with a good cam, heads, intake manifold and all that.. I am deffently not an expert on this area, I am open for good advices to come in the right direction.. But I am reading all the different sites down all time to see which is the best way to go..

How much ft-lbs can the tremec 3550 handle, and where can I get one? :)
I don't think the original 3550 is available anymore, unless you buy one used, but the current TKO models are just upgraded versions of them. The transmission case, dimensions, and weight are approximately the same. If I recall, the original 3550 was rated very conservatively at 350 ft-lbs of continuous torque and clearly, it has outlived itself many times over in the 10+ years I've been abusing mine. I know several other people that have run a stock 3550 behind serious powerplants and not had any problems. That being said, the TKO is supposed to stronger yet and considering that they are commonly available today makes it a much better option.

The other option is the T56 6-speed manual, but the cost of the additional overdrive gear adds 120 lbs of weight on top of a 3550/TKO.

Sounds like a fun project.

I think the TKO will be the choice when I have the money for it.. The T56 is to expensive for only one gear more, and it is to big for the tunnel to.

I deffently think this is going to be a fun project, I am saving all my money up right now to this project. I think this is going to be a expensive build.. :-D

How do you even get parts in Denmark? Do you have to order it online and then broker them in via customs?

Yes I have to get them in the country via customs, so that is why this will be a very expensive build.. Let us say I want to order parts for 5000$. When I have it here in Denmark, the total price will be around 7800$, that is 2800$ for freight, taxes and all that.. This is just insane, so it is not nice to live in Denmark and being a car nut!!

But of course we do have companies that have these parts, but that's the same price as I can get for by my self, sometimes more expensive. Because they also have to make money on the parts!

So you guys overthere are living in heaven!

Only good about living in EU, is that the currency exchange rate against Dollar is pretty good. Otwerwise I cannot understand that the European Union defines for example the maximum curve for cucumber - man they must be kidding but no thats written to the law - now geez.

Hey if that really sound expensive, I can arrange you a aluminium headed std. bore & std. stroke 460 cid from carb to the aircleaner with TKO600 with the 0,64 od with aluminium flywheel, Mcleod goodies, SFI bellhousing with 1000 miles on the combo and can be had for 11-12 k€'s. Located inside EU in Finland, there's very good and fast transit connection between DK - FIN with Freja f.eg. You can think it a stroked 351c to 3.850" stroke but only with bigger bore 4.360" and overbore possibilities all the way up to 4.460" - so block from father to the son (or girl). Just a food for thoughts.

While the weather in the southwest US is pretty enviable year-round and gas prices are low, it's not all glory. Develop a serious health problem in the US and see what happens to you if you don't have a million dollars in your bank account.

Hedman make shorties for the 351w conversion on 71/73 Mustangs.

I have them and the quality is great.

Although the engine bay on our cars is pretty big there is hardly no room for headers, so it's not easy to find anything that fits.

The Hedman shorties offer a tight fit and you can see that they required some creative engineering to make them work. Unless you wanna go racing and need the very last fraction of horsepower I would advise you to consider the shorties.

I went from long tube headers to these shorties and noticed no difference at all.

1.625" primary tubes are going to be choking a 400ish cubic inch engine targeting 500 hp. Show me some 1.75" primary tube headers and I'll buy them right now.

1.625" primary tubes are going to be choking a 400ish cubic inch engine targeting 500 hp. Show me some 1.75" primary tube headers and I'll buy them right now.
Ford Powertrain Applications. Gonna be around 800 bucks, but the quality is top notch, you get what you pay for.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Mustang1.htm

7. 67-73 Mustang/Cougar 351W w/standard Ford Port (step design 1 5/8 - 1 3/4) 4 Tube Step footers: C E K L

C- Manual & power steer applications

E- Will clear Quick time bellhousings

K- Will fit Total Control Rack & Pinion Steering

L- 1 3/4" Primary on Dart Head- 1 5/8"/ 1 3/4" Step option

Are you gonna buy them right now?? ;)

------------

edit: the ground clearence will be amazing even with BBF engines.

------------

2nd edit:

6. 67-73 Mustang/Cougar 351W/Dart/Canfield/AFR205 (full 1 3/4" tube) 4 Tube footers C E K L

Finmach: Did you notice that I have send you an private message? :)
I noticed, wroted to you, but it was stuck in a draft folder, I just released it from the draft folder - You should be able to see it now!

regards

...cökpmåtuter moron...

Ford Powertrain Applications. Gonna be around 800 bucks, but the quality is top notch, you get what you pay for.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Mustang1.htm

7. 67-73 Mustang/Cougar 351W w/standard Ford Port (step design 1 5/8 - 1 3/4) 4 Tube Step footers: C E K L

C- Manual & power steer applications

E- Will clear Quick time bellhousings

K- Will fit Total Control Rack & Pinion Steering

L- 1 3/4" Primary on Dart Head- 1 5/8"/ 1 3/4" Step option

Are you gonna buy them right now?? ;)

------------

edit: the ground clearence will be amazing even with BBF engines.

------------

2nd edit:

6. 67-73 Mustang/Cougar 351W/Dart/Canfield/AFR205 (full 1 3/4" tube) 4 Tube footers C E K L
Haha! I've never seen those before! I wonder if these will actually fit. If you order a set, let me know how it goes! I have a man who is planning to build some custom stainless headers for mine when I have the car running again. For the short term I've dinged the crap out of my existing custom headers to clearance them for the new spark plug locations on the RHS heads. I'm hoping to be able to drive the car to the fabricator's shop, but the Ford Powertrain stuff looks like it may work.

OMG that was horrible. I just emailed Ford Powertrain and inquired about their headers. The response wasn't what we wanted to hear! See below:

Me:

Hi there,
I'm curious as to how much of a real fit your headers listed as "351W/Dart/Canfield/AFR205 (full 1 3/4" tube)" in a '71 Mustang are. There are no pictures provided. I swapped heads from World Products Windsor Sr. to a set of ported RHS 215 aluminum units. The spark plug locations are slightly different, although the flanges is identical.

Interested in some pricing as well.

Thanks!
Ford Powertrain:

Sorry. We have a 351 W based header for "ALL" cylinder heads but there is a mis print on our site as we have nothing for the 71-73 Mustangs. Only 67-70.
Stan Johnson

Ford Powertrain Applications

253 848-9503 9-6 Mon-Fri

Pacific time
That is some lame sauce!

Sigh.. Do I have to stick a W in my car and haul it up to him for you? :p
If I were to do it again I would've stuck with the 351CJ that was in the car originally. Now I'm comitted to this Wheezer.

OMG that was horrible. I just emailed Ford Powertrain and inquired about their headers. The response wasn't what we wanted to hear! See below:

Me:

Hi there,
I'm curious as to how much of a real fit your headers listed as "351W/Dart/Canfield/AFR205 (full 1 3/4" tube)" in a '71 Mustang are. There are no pictures provided. I swapped heads from World Products Windsor Sr. to a set of ported RHS 215 aluminum units. The spark plug locations are slightly different, although the flanges is identical.

Interested in some pricing as well.

Thanks!
Ford Powertrain:

Sorry. We have a 351 W based header for "ALL" cylinder heads but there is a mis print on our site as we have nothing for the 71-73 Mustangs. Only 67-70.
Stan Johnson

Ford Powertrain Applications

253 848-9503 9-6 Mon-Fri

Pacific time
That is some lame sauce!
That sucks, sorry for any inconvinience. Man I am used that their products are top notch but well they should correct their webpages. Headers are top quality though.

Ok, so I've found some headers that legitimately fit a '71-73 Mustang with a 351W. I know this for a fact because a local machine shop built a '72 and used them. JBA Headers p/n 1653 and related part numbers. Confirmed fit. http://www.jbaheaders.com/detail_shortyV.asp?id=1653SJS

A few issues with them, howevber. First is that they're shorties. Second, primary diameters of 1 5/8" isn't great on a stroked Wheezer. You'll definitely be sacrificing some power by running them, but they do appear to fit the chassis.

Interestingly enough, JBA makes 1 3/4" primary tube diameters to fit a 302 in a '71-73, but not for a 351W!

I have found a solution!

1 3/4" primary tube headers for a 351W in a '71-73 Mustang, with power steering, and whatever transmission combination you have. Accufab Racing. I spoke with George Klass of Accufab and he's building me a set, should receive them sometime in August!

Back