4 wheel disc (Wilwood) Help :)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello..

I want to install 12'' disc brakes with 4 pistons caliber in front and rear, and I'll buy them from Wilwood.. But will it work with powerbooster and master cylinder? I have been looking at different sites where they only install the master cylinder and get manuel brakes. Why are they doing that? Does that mean with this set up you can not use the booster or what? I have tried to get an answer by searching, but no luck.. Anyone who can explain why they install the master cylinder direct in to the firewall, and not together with the booster?

My plan was to use the Wilwood master cylinder, but their website tells me that it only works with manuel brakes?

Hope to get some answers :D

Last edited by a moderator:
ya im running some wilwood on my stang, however my car didnt come with a power booster. idk if i guess it looks nicer running just the master cylinder. and it makes no difference it still brakes the same, just the pedal isnt as hard with power brakes. But i decided to do a hydrobooster. YOu can have a custom fab shop retrofit a wilwood master with a brake booster. I dont know how they would work but def something to ask around for. and on the instructions for the brakes it said to use power booster.

A hydroboost runs off the power steering pump, fits between the master cylinder and firewall and is about the same size as a master cylinder:

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/

It will be a little harder to push, and you will have to push the pedal further. Non-power brake pedals typically have the brake push rod attached at a different location to provide more leverage and the diameter of the master cylinder is usually different so that it provides more hydraulic "leverage".

I think youll be ok. My car had 4 wheel drums all around and manual brakes and it stopped safely. Yes its gonna be a harder push than power, but if you dont have weak legs *cough*cough* lazy, i think youll be fine. Plus youre getting 4 wheel wilwoods..awesome braking power. I had a leak in my rear drums and i didnt even notice! the wilwoods made that much difference, Yes my pedal sunk to the floor, but it braked, just speculator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back