429 cobra jet motor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximd30

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang coupe
So my uncle just pulled a 429 motor out of his old Ranchero. it doesn't run but its all there. he only wants 650$ for it. would it be worth it to buy it and rebuild it for my car? Give me your opinions. (i have a 302 now)

So my uncle just pulled a 429 motor out of his old Ranchero. it doesn't run but its all there. he only wants 650$ for it. would it be worth it to buy it and rebuild it for my car? Give me your opinions. (i have a 302 now)
In a word, yes.

Are you sure its a real Cobra Jet, or is it a garden-variety 429?

$650 seems like a lot of dough for an engine that does not run.

When buying anything, dont buy "potential", buy "reality".

In a word, yes.
+ 1 with what Tommy said

Also what about the trans and the FAMILY discount

Too much money for one that may or may not be rebuildable, unless it has true Cobra Jet heads. Most likely it is one with the smaller Thunder Jet heads.

Also-a 429 is based on the same block as a 460 and you can build a 460 to easily outperform a 429. A local craigslist search found 3 460's compete and running for under 650

I don't think a 429 Thunderjet that doesn't run is likely to be worth as much as $500.00

yes its a real cobra jet. is 650$ to high? should i ask for a lower price?

yes its a real cobra jet. is 650$ to high? should i ask for a lower price?
Since it's an actual cobra jet 429, If the heads are OK and it's a complete long block, I would think you have over $650 in parts even if the block isn't one that can be rebuilt.

Jim

The easiest way too confirm whether or not it is actually a 429CJ motor, you should check the casting number on the heads.

Do you have that number?

BT

Back