429 in 71 NASA hood rpm air gap clearance

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 MACH1 m code
Well Guys,

Have my 429 installed in my Mach 1. It has an edelbrock performer RPM air gap intake. Haven't got to the point of installing carb and air cleaner. (Actually just going to paint soon) Has anyone here seen 429 with airgap under NASA hood. The engine mounts are stock but seem fairly low, but as I look at that carb base I'm worried. Maybe with the NASA hood and no ram air setup I shouldn't, but I'm still just uneasy.

Any experience or seen a set up will help ease a troubled mind or confirm my problem. As always Thanks to everyone.

Jenny

Well Guys,

Have my 429 installed in my Mach 1. It has an edelbrock performer RPM air gap intake. Haven't got to the point of installing carb and air cleaner. (Actually just going to paint soon) Has anyone here seen 429 with airgap under NASA hood. The engine mounts are stock but seem fairly low, but as I look at that carb base I'm worried. Maybe with the NASA hood and no ram air setup I shouldn't, but I'm still just uneasy.

Any experience or seen a set up will help ease a troubled mind or confirm my problem. As always Thanks to everyone.

Jenny
I am running a Performer RPM (not an air gap) under a NASA hood with a 1/2" spacer using a drop base air cleaner. I believe the carb pad height of the air gap is the same as the regular RPM manifold.

Without the spacer you can use a regular air cleaner base.

What I do when testing a new spacer/base/filter combo is to put loosely formed balls of tin foil on top of the air cleaner with a stud that doesn't stick above the top of the lid and carefully close the hood. The tin foil will compress and show you exactly how much clearance you have (or don't have) under the hood.

Last edited by a moderator:
DSCN1887.JPG

Thanks for posting this question when my 429 is finished being built I will have the situation because im planning on running the same intake and hood combo.
I could not use the ram air air cleaner. Took a std air cleaner, but the lid from my Ram air air cleaner. The Std lid did not fit under the hood. I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake.

Was still very tight under the hood.

Thank you all,

yes I checked on edelbrock. carb pad ht is 5.48" for both performer rpm and rpm air gap. Tommy K you say you are using 1/2" spacer and drop base cleaner. Is your drop base a 3" or something less air filter height. Good to know at least it can be done.

Jenny

Hey J & R, I was thinking about you gals the other day wondering how the car is coming along. Post up some progress pics when you get a chance. Glad to hear you're this far along.

You can run a victor jr under the hood with 1/2" spacer and an extreme drop base aircleaner base - aircleaner base was from the '60 something BB Corvette and they all fit in. I would have managed without the hood scoop if I wouldn't have used the 2" spacer and 4" element aircleaner.

Back