429 internals: Need some help...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, my chart shows 5.53 KG-M for 40 ft-lbs and 6.22 KG-M for 45ft-lbs
Thanks again both, was very helpful.

I said i'd post some picts, so just to be complete in case someone bumps into same issue.

Here the crank socket with the "emboss". You see the rear shape goes inward to fit the crankshaft like a glove.

cranksocket.jpg

here's a pict on the alignment. no longer missing the +-5 mm I was looking for.

The prob was that the upper gear (cam sprocket) was not fully engaged onto the cam/pin, it was not as near to the cam as expected. As the cam, can float back a bit, the chain was aligned ok, but the cam was +- 5mm too much behind.

Lost 1 hour making a tool to extract the gear, to find out a simple tiny screen driver was enough to free it :) it was sticking because of previous torque and some residues. Once free, it glided over the key with no need of force, small piece of soft wood to get it out and back in was ubber easy with lube and all clean.

As about the play, well, once installed as it should with the torque set on the cam sproket, I'm not even sure there is some, couldn't really feel any, if there is, it must be be very tiny. Turned back and forth a few times, all was smooth, placed the dist to test, it engaged in the cam gear right away and into the new pump shaft I've installed right away too (wish it will do same when i'll install it for real). So spot on now.

I was out of locking paste, so will close the front next week. But installed the heads... man the required 130 -140 pounds per bolts for these heads reminded me I wasn't 20 years old anymore :)

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus, the sprocket doesn't have a timing mark on the other side.

I know what you mean about the torque, even my longest torque wrench is too short now a days, need more leverage.

@hemikiller

I've in the end used another one for the heads and this one has both units on it. Very handy indeed.

About the block plugs, found 2 of these in the pile of bolts that I have, they look like they should fit and they have the old engine paint on them...

@Don C

This one is say 60-70 cm long and it feel nice in the hands but its still a sh..it load of muscle power that I don't have anymore :)

Good news is that the rest of the engine will not be as hard now!

About the block plugs, found 2 of these in the pile of bolts that I have, they look like they should fit and they have the old engine paint on them...
Yes, that appears to be the right ones. It also looks like someone changed them to brass, I believe most were originally steel.

Back