429 What do you all think

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 MACH1 m code

Hello to all,

I've received lots of support and info here and wanted to tap the collective thinking of the group.:D

We have a 429 that has been built by a professional for another project we've acquired. We are considering our options and wanted to seek input.

We want lots of street grunt, smoke em if we want, good growl. Let the guys know the car has a heart.

As it sits the engine is rebuilt. Has the orig 70 nodular iron crank 010 under rebuilt stock rods with arp, hypereu pistons to drop comp to 9.5 D0VE c heads with new springs, full roller rockers, hydrauli roller cam. We have hooker super comp headers a built up c6 70 mustang 9 inch rear with new 31 spline axels and new 3.89 posi rear.

We have considered a 545 stroker for the ultimate grunt but since what we want is street performance torque is king and don't know if all we'd have to go thru for the 545 and putting it to the ground is worthwhile. Never had a ride in a strong 429. Don't have a basis to compare but just like drinking have to know when to say enough. What do you all think. No race or track just want a strong street car we don't have to apologize for or hide from Chevys.

Thanks,

Jenny and Roshelle

With that rear end gears and that 429...how much lift and duration on the cam? It will be a animal even if it was completely stock with them gears...hehe...hyper pistons are decent...and with a roller cam should get some power....Counts on your budget...If Price no option for me...I would still consider just runing it how it is....for plain ole street it will dominate..lol...After your motor gets too much for the road..You just blow threw the tires every time you step on the gas.....I been driving with my cousins trans am with 504 hp to the rear tire....he has tall 275 gears in it....and if you step on the gas pedel it will blow threw the tires at will even with the tall gears...hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have gone to an upgrade rear suspension system, and by that I mean a good bit more than just slapping new springs, big tires and traction bars on there, I think what you have currently will be more than the chassis can put to the ground. Where is the gain if you can't put it to the pavement?

Although not the rocket car driver I used to be, the 351C 4V Stock with a 4 speed toploader and 3.25 gears was more than enough for me. Can't imagine your 429 wouldn't give you the pull you want...you are probably going to need some pretty fat tires.

I would imagine the rebuilt 429 will also outlive any stroker plans you may have. But than again, some people like changing out their motors every several months.

Jenny, TRUST ME, as Hyena stated and/or inferred,a stock 429 will give you in excess of 500 foot pounds of torque and THAT is what "rules the street."

Since your motor was apparently built by a reputable builder, I see no reason why you need to go any further at this time (considering your stated goals). Put it in and see how y'all like it.

Dependent upon the cam events, you may have have a bit more gear than you need for the "street" but you could "work" that a bit with your choice of rear tires.

BT

Jenny, TRUST ME, as Hyena stated and/or inferred,a stock 429 will give you in excess of 500 foot pounds of torque and THAT is what "rules the street."

Since your motor was apparently built by a reputable builder, I see no reason why you need to go any further at this time (considering your stated goals). Put it in and see how y'all like it.

Dependent upon the cam events, you may have have a bit more gear than you need for the "street" but you could "work" that a bit with your choice of rear tires.

BT
{thumbs up} big tires too...MY cus trans am has wide meats...Still easy to burn them...he gots the stop the hop kit on it too.

With the gears in that 429.....Wow...I would enjoy having that motor how it is..in town or even on the drag strip....It would be a blast and a joy to drive.

Thanks to everyone. I just haven't had something like this. We owned at 2006 c6 corvette automatic and it was great but certainly not a monster thou of course very fast.

Main reason I'm looking at this now is block is fresh at .030 now just need maybe a different hone for the diff pistons(forged) to fit right.

But that said then there is would my stock pumpkin and 31 spline axles hold it. Would almost surely need a 4 link and more stout front end. Have frame connectors and a torque arm for current set up but don't think that would hold it. Just sorta looking at a "now or never" thing and wondering should I.

Don't plan to put more than 2-3000 miles per year but from when I was a kid the more you stepped it up the crankier it got and the shorter and more troublesome its life. Some seemed to allude to that. Don't want to make something I can't enjoy because I didn't know enough to stop.

Thank you one and all

It is more than enough for the use you describe. The hyper-eutectic pistons are fine for the intended purpose as long as you keep detonation at bay (proper dist curve and advance+decent fuel). The 31 spline Traction-Lok set up should work reliably unless you put slicks on the car. Rear suspension mods that work for cheap... http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-suspension-mods-for-460?highlight=pinion+snubber post #5. If you need more add an extra half leaf to front side of the leaf spring.

What do you plan to use for intake and carb? Do you know the specs on the camshaft? Chuck

Back