460 PI heads vs. Kaase P-51

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang H Code Mach 1

I have a set of 460 PI heads that I had redone and never reinstalled them. When I did run them they were the "hot ticket" at the time and a significant improvement over the D3's I took off. But now, here in the 21st century, I see that there several aftermarket heads available. In particular I'm drawn to the Kaase P-51 heads but have to wonder if they are really worth the price especially since I have a set of PI heads. Does anyone have any experience with Kaase stuff? How do you think the PI heads would perform on a stroker? If I use them I need to mill the lifter bosses to accept adjustable rocker arms and if I'm going to sell them I'd rather not make the effort. Thoughts?

I have a set of 460 PI heads that I had redone and never reinstalled them. When I did run them they were the "hot ticket" at the time and a significant improvement over the D3's I took off. But now, here in the 21st century, I see that there several aftermarket heads available. In particular I'm drawn to the Kaase P-51 heads but have to wonder if they are really worth the price especially since I have a set of PI heads. Does anyone have any experience with Kaase stuff? How do you think the PI heads would perform on a stroker? If I use them I need to mill the lifter bosses to accept adjustable rocker arms and if I'm going to sell them I'd rather not make the effort. Thoughts?
How a particular head performs is entirely dependent on what it is being tasked to do and on what engine it will be installed.

About the only thing the PI head and the P-51 head have in common is that they both fit a Ford 385 series engine.

Can you tell us what the engine build details are and how you intended to use the car?

There are several heads available that may be "better" for a particular intended use.

For balls to the wall performance, the Kasse heads will outperform your PI heads. I have a friend running the Boss heads and they are pretty f'ing sweet. If you won't be drag racing or running the Texas mile, but just having fun on the street, save your money-the PI heads will be more than you will ever need.

In our cars, traction is the limiting factor. There is little difference between 400 and 600 horsepower when the wheels are spinning

As the others have said, I think the answer depends on how much power your planning for. If you haven't checked out this forum there's a lot of BBF knowledge here:

http://www.460ford.com/forum/

I have limited experience but I would think if you're talking a 'hot' street motor, I would think that the PI heads wouldn't be a liability, especially since you already have them.

My thoughts would be if you had to spend money, go with one of the aftermarket aluminum choices as they flow better and are much lighter...

The $2500 for the P-51s would go a long way for other parts that may be needed. It depends on what your goals are for the car. The PI heads will make good power if you decide to use them although the chamber volume is somewhat larger than the P-51s and the CJ/SCJ heads. Good luck. Chuck

Back