71-72 Chrome front bumper on a 73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am with Jeff that I would touch it up or paint it. If you ever go to sell the car it will be worth more with the OEM bumper. Below is a pic of the black out that it should have. Touch up the yellow, spray paint the black with semi gloss and see how it looks.

5d54oy.jpg

If the bumper is no worse than that, I'd repair it. (okay, in reality, I'd touch it up with an artist's brush and some touch up paint and ignore it) If you look at some bumpers, you'll see that the middle inside area should be painted black. That damage is very minor and if you can accept a repaint of it without blending into the rest of the car ie, pull the bumper, have it repainted and then reinstall it, any minor color mismatch should not be obvious.

Nice looking car

I am with Jeff that I would touch it up or paint it. If you ever go to sell the car it will be worth more with the OEM bumper. Below is a pic of the black out that it should have. Touch up the yellow, spray paint the black with semi gloss and see how it looks.

5d54oy.jpg
Thanks. So should I use spray can or brush to apply the touch up paint? I found a vendor, Touchup Automotive, that sells 1973 ford medium bright yellow. They have both spray can, and regular 2oz can. They also sell paint pens which I will probably pick up for future chips. Any thoughts?

TheDude73,

I am with Jeff73Mach1, jeff8877 on repairing the bumper. There are many adhesive products and techniques out there today that will make that bumper look brand new. One thing, Is that a crack in the right hand side bumper skin at the corner of the head light door? Maybe one soon, you can get that looked at.

mustang7173

Guys,

Look at the Crites 73 fiberglass replacement bumper. I used it on mine and with a little massaging it looks better than the original. I made my own brackets in lieu of the ones listed.

www.critesperformanceparts.com

Thanks, Jay
Thanks, I ordered one today. They are behind on production and said it will take about 12 weeks.

I also agree to fix that one. I think this has been mentioned but get a paint that is made for that type of application. (---it needs to be able to flex and not crack up!)

Nice car!

Ray

I have a Crites Bumper-it is a rough piece as it arrives and being fiberglass it is pretty easy to damage. It is less work to fix the urethane than you will have with the Crites part-it is basically a lightweight drag part-

and that is why mine is black and painted with rubberized undercoating.

Ran into a gentleman today in town that had a nice dark green driver 73. He was unhappy about the 73 bumper and wanted to replace it with a chrome bumper. I am bumping this to the front of the list so that if the guy makes it to this site per my recommendation, he'll be able to find this thread....

Jay (Friendswood, TX

How bad is the original urethane bumper? There are fillers available to repair them to keep the originality of the design. Can you provide a picture of the damage to the urethane bumper? Perhaps we can suggest some repair guidance.

Back