71 Coupe rear glass removal and install questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Base 6 cylinder, and 72 Base 351C
Morning! I am going to pull the back glass out of my 71 coupe this weekend to see how much rust repair I will have to do. Couple of questions...

It looks like it has just a rubber seal, I assume I can just razorblade it since I will use a new seal to install? And once it is cut, does the window just push out or is there some sealer in there too to deal with?

Once it is time for the window to go back in (Not for a while! lol ), how do I do it.. Or am I better to have it done at a glass shop? I remember years ago helping a buddy with a truck change a back window, was a PITA. And there was a lot more room to work in than this car! Seems like we used some rope, but this was 25 years ago, so.....

Getting excited to get starting on this project. Motor is at my friend's shop that builds Fords, building a 351W stroked to 408. I am concentrating on the mechanicals, and doing what bodywork I can squeeze in this winter. Plan is to drive it next summer, painted or not! Thanks, Earl

Morning! I am going to pull the back glass out of my 71 coupe this weekend to see how much rust repair I will have to do. Couple of questions...

It looks like it has just a rubber seal, I assume I can just razorblade it since I will use a new seal to install? And once it is cut, does the window just push out or is there some sealer in there too to deal with?

Once it is time for the window to go back in (Not for a while! lol ), how do I do it.. Or am I better to have it done at a glass shop? I remember years ago helping a buddy with a truck change a back window, was a PITA. And there was a lot more room to work in than this car! Seems like we used some rope, but this was 25 years ago, so.....

Getting excited to get starting on this project. Motor is at my friend's shop that builds Fords, building a 351W stroked to 408. I am concentrating on the mechanicals, and doing what bodywork I can squeeze in this winter. Plan is to drive it next summer, painted or not! Thanks, Earl
After removing your trim with the trim tool - be careful not to bend it

Yes just cut the rubber

Be careful with your window on the edges - that is the weak point on laminated glass.

Ford used foam tape, and the rubber - you will see it when you disassemble it.

If you can take pictures - it will help when reinstall time comes

I've removed mine like 3 decades ago, what I recall is a very thick rubber seal. There was no way for me to get a new one back then,

They were not available as repro or NOS.

But unlike most rubbers you are forced to change, the old guy (+- 15 years old at the time) went back in after a very good cleaning with thinner.

There was no rust that could have caused some deformation. And it took the shape/place back as a new one would do. Never leaked.

To put it back was a bit like with a grommet that you push back in. I did it without problems alone, tho having an extra pair of hands

would certainly be handy.

Take pictures will busy. I'm sure more will eventually have to remove this window.

Back