71 H code with staggard shocks ??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not know them or the car - just saw the staggard shock statement

Maybe this car got Jim"s brackets ?

http://monroemi.craigslist.org/cto/4137897880.html
Who knows Don, be interesting to see if that 71 was also one of the earlier ones produced in 70. I'm learning there were a lot of adjustments being made as they rolled out the first of our models in 70.

i heard that on the early cars ford threw in the mounts for the competition rear suspensions on mach 1 trim for the fastback.

but you may not of had the equipment to support the staggered rear shocks like the mounting brackets on the U bolts.

later on they started only adding the extra chassis parts when the order called for competition suspension.

would be nice if the ad for the car showed how the competition shocks were mounted.

The car is riding on Magnums. And if it was ordered with them, it would have been required to have received the Competition Suspension package.

At least that is what I understand...

From the 71 Mustang Facts Book rev Feb 15 1971:

COMPETITION SUSPENSION

The competition suspension is available on all models ex­cept those equipped with the

250-c.i.d. engine. The option includes heavy-duty front and rear springs, extra heavy­

duty front and rear shock absorbers, extra heavy-duty front stabilizer bar and rear

stabilizer bar. The competition sus­ pension is standard on the Mach I, Boss 351 and with

the 429-c.i.d. CJ or CJ-R engines.

Ray

The car is riding on Magnums. And if it was ordered with them, it would have been required to have received the Competition Suspension package.

Ray
Sorry I was just kidding around - I would have to see the shock mounts and the vin under the fender

I have found MANY under fender VIN's that did not match the title and dash on parts cars

Comp suspension was shocks and springs - not staggard shocks.

Comp suspension was standard on Mach 1's in 71 - I think in 72 and 73 it became an option

Staggard shocks were for 4 barrel cars only - it was to reduce wheel hop - nothing to do with handling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray
Sorry I was just kidding around - I would have to see the shock mounts and the vin under the fender

I have found MANY under fender VIN's that did not match the title and dash on parts cars

Comp suspension was shocks and springs - not staggard shocks.

Comp suspension was standard on Mach 1's in 71 - I think in 72 and 73 it became an option

Staggard shocks were for 4 barrel cars only - it was to reduce wheel hop - nothing to do with handling.
OK I see now. THX for the post.

Ageed.

Ray

I wish someone would repop the support part for the truck floor. It is such a simple piece. It would be so nice to just plug weld a repop to the floor while the axle is out.

Most mavericks came with staggered rear shocks even if they were 6 bangers. The shock brackets on the bottom are the same as our cars but I do not know about the top mounting part as I never paid a junk yard to cut one out for me.

$20 for the last set of maverick staggered shock mounts I picked up. You can also just use 2 right sides for both but it is not as strong. Fine for a street car.

I parted out a Grande that someone simply welded in some plate steel to the truck floor and then used a longer shock on one side. It looked correct from behind but the car did not run so I wonder how it actually handled.

If this actually worked then us members could pair up to buy the 2 sets of shocks and split them up one long one short - LOL.

- Paul

I wish someone would repop the support part for the truck floor. It is such a simple piece. It would be so nice to just plug weld a repop to the floor while the axle is out.

Most mavericks came with staggered rear shocks even if they were 6 bangers. The shock brackets on the bottom are the same as our cars but I do not know about the top mounting part as I never paid a junk yard to cut one out for me.

$20 for the last set of maverick staggered shock mounts I picked up. You can also just use 2 right sides for both but it is not as strong. Fine for a street car.

I parted out a Grande that someone simply welded in some plate steel to the truck floor and then used a longer shock on one side. It looked correct from behind but the car did not run so I wonder how it actually handled.

If this actually worked then us members could pair up to buy the 2 sets of shocks and split them up one long one short - LOL.

- Paul
I utilized the "Maverick" option as part of the conversion I am doing on my '69 "H-Code" Mach 1 to staggered shocks in anticipation of installing the 428SCJ/Cast Iron Tailshaft C6 combination.

Like you apparently did, I purchased the Maverick plates off Ebay and got the other parts (to include the "support plate") from this seller. It came with GREAT instructions.

http://www.sancospecialties.com/stagger.HTM

The modification has turned out Outstanding, according to my Restorer who has done scores of Boss and 428CJ Mustangs. I don't see why this would not work on the 71- 73 Mustangs:).

BT

Latest posts

Back