'71 Mach 1 - please critique

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could be wrong on the center dash emblem. I seem to remember seeing "mach 1" badges there.

Keep in mind - it's a 43-year-old car, that's undergone some kind of restoration effort. If the center dash plastic was trashed, a different piece could have just as easily been swapped in. After all, the restorer kind of missed the boat on some of the other details. ;) :D

If the VINs all match, and say it's an H-code Mach 1, then it's an H-code Mach 1. If not, then the best bet is on the shock tower VIN stampings to be the correct VIN for the car (not guaranteed... but it's a lot harder to change those than a dashboard cover or door sticker).

I'm just sayin' it's impossible to know for sure if the pieces and parts on the car are original or not after all this time.

If that VIN hasn't been swapped, I'll bet that it was a 3-speed H-code which has since received a toploader swap.

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to it.

-Kurt
Great discussion here, and yes that flemingsultimategarage.com car must have been a top loader swap. I have to chuckle where the description states things like "detailed engine compartment & trunk w/correct jack & spare". The car doesn't even have the correct type of engine! (Windsor vs. Cleveland) Ah minor point I know, as long as you have the correct jack and spare you're good to go...

Here's another interesting H code manual trans car where the seller dances around with the description. At least a partial pic of the Marti report is included and it does mention a 3 speed manual trans. Take a look at the pics of the engine. I enhanced one of those and brightened it up a bit, and it looks like another 351 Windsor! The shape of the valve covers and the radiator hose which looks like it is going into a neck on the intake manifold give it away. I've been looking at early 70's Mustangs for over a year and honestly I never used to check the engine pics to make sure a 351 Cleveland was in there (unless it's a 302 car of course). Have to wonder how many of these are changing hands where the new owner thinks they have a 351 Cleveland and they do not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191423068206?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Back