'72 mach1 noise and overheat issues. Please Help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya..Something going on...Your radiator just mite be filled with too much crud...I still have original radiator on mine...and has original big fan shroud AC car 351 4v....My radiator has atleast 5 pin hole leaks ..Tiny ones that leak and fill up and stop once and a while .lol..But i drove it for 18 yearish and never had a heating issues..Even has the most hated flex fan...And i live in a hot desert and even at 110 degree's and more in slow or non moving traffic ,she would clime up little over 195ish...Im going to have my original radiator flushed and fixed by our local radiator shop.....It has never gave me any issue cooling "even with the leaks" in the hottest of summers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap...you were at the Knott's show???

That was your Mustang Mike put his coke can on?

He told me he was real sorry about leaving that scratch on the trunk lid, but he didn't have a pen to leave a note.

Maybe we'll catch you next year.
LMAO....I knew I wasn't seeing things last time I washed it. Thanks guys. I'll take those panels at no charge for the headache lol ;) what are friends for haha..

Does it have a fan shroud?

Crap...you were at the Knott's show???

That was your Mustang Mike put his coke can on?

He told me he was real sorry about leaving that scratch on the trunk lid, but he didn't have a pen to leave a note.

Maybe we'll catch you next year.
James you can't keep anything quiet can you.:cool:
Previous comment above ^^^^ but as far as the fan shroud, ya there is one on it. However after looking at it yesterday when it was up on the rack, there is a good size gap between the shroud sides and radiator, which means easier access points for air to escape. I assume its not the right one then. Its been on there since before I got the car. So I will have to look more into that.

Last edited by a moderator:
HEY MUSTANG GUYS and GALS,

I am looking for some suggestions and/or help with my '72 mach1 which has the Cleveland 351 in it. Mostly all original parts including radiator. The first issue is that I recently experienced is a whistling/vacuum like suction noise coming from the front center of the car, most likely engine area. It only makes the noise when accelerating and or when just starting to let off the gas. I assume it is a possible vacuum leak but not completely sure. I will have to check those but any suggestions as to which hose it could be and where it would be located based on the engine type of my car? Or other possibilities??? Thanks in advance.

The second issue, which after speaking with other mustang owners at car shows have said is fairly common, is my mach starting to get really hot while in an idol position. It is the 351 cleveland with a 4 barrel carb. I have the original radiator and although an electric fan may help, I have no intentions of changing. I am keeping the car as original as possible. The suggestions I have received are a product called Water Wetter to be used and also I believe what one had called like an inner cooler for that area... Any personal experienes or help would be great. I'm not a mechanic, though I have a good friend who is so please keep the terms basic so that I can relate it to him.

Thank You!

-Tom
on mine with an oil pressure issue, looking at an upgrade w/oil pump? what do you think? HAD THE OILERS WIDENED WHEN CHANGED OVER TO WHEN HAD REPLACED HYDRAULIC LIFTERS, INCREASE COMPRESSION AND lunati H>O> cam

Back