72 convertible in need of evrythng

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW,

You can't weld on rust so the first thing you would need to do is completely disassemble the car and have it sand blasted. Only then will you know what you really have and
what your going to need. Once all of the welding is done you will also need to do a chemical dip to protect all of your new exposed metal.This will cost you many thousands of dollars and man hours.
In addition.
Carefully check the convertible tub. This is a prime location for hidden rust and if it looks like your floor panes your toast.

Any restoration needs to start with a very frank conversation with yourself about what you want as a result. Are you looking for the highest priced Mustang convertible to sell at auction? Are you looking to make money on the car? If so, when do you have to have cash in hand, and how much do you think you want to make? Did the car belong to a beloved family member/friend and you have an emotional attachment? Do you want a safe, reliable different-than-everything-else-on-the-road restomod? Only you can answer these questions and what you are willing to spend to meet your goal.

If you have to pay someone to do the work, it is probably not worth saving it. If you can do the work, it's your call - you know your skills, available time, and deadlines. If you want to learn how to do the work, this is as good a project as any to make all your mistakes.

Just by way of reference, at the Las Vegas Barrett Jackson auction a couple weeks ago I seem to recall that there was a red 71-73 convertible that someone paid US$60,000
I just checked Barret Jackson . A red 73 Convertible with a 302 and Auto sold for 66K.
I guess the 71-73 generation of Mustang is starting to appreciate.
Good to see that.

Yes, that car is a major project. IMO, you have three options:

1 - use it to teach yourself to weld and take it one step at a time. It's going to take a lot of dedication and time to go this route.

2 - use it as a parts car for your next project. At $1800, you are not losing anything.

3 - sell it for $1800, I know there are a couple guys in the PA area that part out this generation of car.

St Louis is a bit too far lol

This is where a lot of hobbyists end up being shortsighted. If you have a car that needs a ton of work, such as this one, what is a smarter decision - to spend thousands of hours repairing a rotted hulk, or take a long drive to get a much better condition vehicle or section of a vehicle? It's a lot more pleasurable to cruise along at 70mph on the freeway with a trailer in tow, than being covered in rust and dirt day after day. Food for thought.

It’s not that the 71/73 mustangs are appreciating that quickly, but the buyer who paid $60,000 plus 10% buyers fee must have really wanted it to pay double what it’s really worth…especially with that power train and multiple mistakes…I guess it only helps us in the long run (IMO). Maybe he was caught up in the moment and the gallery cocktails got the best of his/her judgement(?)

I found a passenger door in excellent condition yesterday, but I may be using this car as a learning experience. I should probably sell this one and try again

Yes, that car is a major project. IMO, you have three options:

1 - use it to teach yourself to weld and take it one step at a time. It's going to take a lot of dedication and time to go this route.

2 - use it as a parts car for your next project. At $1800, you are not losing anything.

3 - sell it for $1800, I know there are a couple guys in the PA area that part out this generation of car.

This is where a lot of hobbyists end up being shortsighted. If you have a car that needs a ton of work, such as this one, what is a smarter decision - to spend thousands of hours repairing a rotted hulk, or take a long drive to get a much better condition vehicle or section of a vehicle? It's a lot more pleasurable to cruise along at 70mph on the freeway with a trailer in tow, than being covered in rust and dirt day after day. Food for thought.
I agree, I believe I should have been more patient in my search. The car was full of "extra parts" in the interior and the trunk so I didn't really get to see what I bought until I got it home. Of all the extra parts there were like three pieces that were salvageable. Feeling like the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted "

I agree, I believe I should have been more patient in my search. The car was full of "extra parts" in the interior and the trunk so I didn't really get to see what I bought until I got it home. Of all the extra parts there were like three pieces that were salvageable. Feeling like the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted "
No need to beat yourself up about it brother. I bet most folks on here have a story about jumping the gun on a car. It happens all the time. There are ups and downs and disappointments with finding these cars so it’s easy to do. It’s sorta like “buck fever” in hunting.

The experience should help make you a more objective buyer in the future. With some patience and diligence you will get your car.

I agree with what everyone else said about selling the car or using it as a parts car. I see some metal parts on the car that COULD be very valuable IF they are in good shape. These are the rear door jams (door catch support) , the rear frame rails/torque boxes, and the piece that the convertible top boot trim mounts to. I will be selling a similar project body soon that is factory red with vermilion interior (but a 6 cylinder car) that has had a lot of the metal work already done (NOS rear 1/4 panels) and is in way better shape and I would be ecstatic to get $1,800 for it!

Well, you’ve got a lot to think about. If you want to learn how to restore a car, here’s your chance. From what most of us think, unless you’re planning on doing the work yourself, it’s s hill too steep to climb. I had that car, a 1968 Ranchero. After 22 weld patches, I finally sold it to the next guy. What I learned, I like to weld, but that car was too much work for me. I accepted that begrudgingly, and bought my next project, a ranchero with very little rust.

Whatever you decide, we’ll be here with our opinions and helpful/aggravating ideas. Steve

I agree with what everyone else said about selling the car or using it as a parts car. I see some metal parts on the car that COULD be very valuable IF they are in good shape. These are the rear door jams (door catch support) , the rear frame rails/torque boxes, and the piece that the convertible top boot trim mounts to. I will be selling a similar project body soon that is factory red with vermilion interior (but a 6 cylinder car) that has had a lot of the metal work already done (NOS rear 1/4 panels) and is in way better shape and I would be ecstatic to get $1,800 for it!

I think @Keystone stang and @kevken1959 need to work out a deal.

Back