72 R code restoMod project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been quiet on this one until now, so here you go, Its YOUR car build it however makes you happy or have somebody pony up the money to buy it and buy you another to play with. But in the end its yours do do with as you want as long as you are paying the bills. Just my take on the subject.

Thanks guys, you've given me a lot of suggestions. Im looking at the difference between going Scots way, (crate) vs. my original idea which is just as much money. I may just garage the whole drive trane and start fresh with modern equipment. I dont know anything about the new computer wiring requirements and harness. I guess that will take some research. Not as easy as the old engine but the new engine does have the knock sensors and many other enhancements that will make the engine more "driveable".

I do want to go with the six speed and hydraulic clutch so the wife can drive it. The pedal on the old clutch was just too stiff for her.

THANKS A BUNCH SCOTT FOR THAT IDEA. I didnt even consier the crate motor before.

What TnFastBk is trying to say is it's your car.... rare one that all of us would LOVE to own and take it back to pristine condition.... go ahead mess it up ...we can say "we knew a guy that had one of those and MESSED up one nice car" Gotta do what you like... we dont have to like you for it.:D:D :D:D:D

now then for serious.

Seriously just kidding. I changed the whole color on my Mach I because I couldnt get use to that ORANGEISH red for 71 and that VErrrrrmilion interior.... blech!!!

I LOVE your car. I especially like the chrome bumper and front pieces. Not sure why Ford decided to make the 72 Mach with rubber bumpers.. I think its UGLY. I had a 72 coupe in HS that had this exact package, NASA hood but it also had the chrome trim front pieces and around the wheel wells. Dont see that too much but it was original factory and I think looked nice against the black. BEAUTIFUL CAR man.

QCode, after I added up the EFI (Mass-Flo), the new drive trane (six spd, new bellhousing, flywheel, dual hydraulic clutch and alum drive shaft, the Paxton V2000($4K), Electronic ignition ($400), Headers, ($400), electric steering, electric water pump, electric fuel pump, Im looking at around $18K..

The wife is now giving me grief about the money so I may be putting the entire drive trane on the market to help offset the cost.

It might be better off in a purists hands.

I've done a lot of work on the body already and its about done with all the patches. I dont want to go through all that work again... So I likely will keep the body.

Do you think there is an interest in someone buying the entire R code engine, tranny and drive trane with all accessories? And if so, what would it be worth? I have no idea.
You don't think you will have to cut up the trans tunnel to install that six speed?

I've done a lot of work on the body already and its about done with all the patches. I dont want to go through all that work again... So I likely will keep the body.
You're not thinking 3 dimensionally here.

You probably could just paint it and get $30-40K for the R-code, even if it wasn't perfect. Then go spend $15K on a common Mach1 WITH A NICE BODY ALREADY and you'll have $15-25K to dump into mods.

You're not thinking 3 dimensionally here.

You probably could just paint it and get $30-40K for the R-code, even if it wasn't perfect. Then go spend $15K on a common Mach1 WITH A NICE BODY ALREADY and you'll have $15-25K to dump into mods.
{thumbs up}

It is your car like we keep saying..and you have it there and ready...and you dont have to hunt ....But if you need extra cash to make your dream mustang...Im sure you could sell that and make 2 dreams maybe or one insaine nice monster super charged stang...lol...Counts how bad she is to get back on the road of cource...Lots of factors....But that is rarer than a boss 351 and 429 cobra jet...And keep that in mind when you go and hunt for some boss 351 and 429's on ebay...It will give you a good idea how insainely rare your car is.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem with claiming such rareness, is having documentation to back it all up. This day and age, Marti Reports and other supporting documentation is so important. And even then, you have to line up the right buyer to get the best sale. Based on what little I've seen with the big name auctions (BJ, Mecum, etc.), I just don't think you're going to get the 'Perfect Storm' buyer who: A. loves '71-'73 Mustangs, B. knows the differences between the models and build codes, and C. had deep enough pockets to obtain such a car, price be damned no matter what condition it's in.

Rare car? Sure. Marketable in it's current condition? Doubtful. Worth enough to haul in more than a fully restored Boss 351? Not without being willing to spend more than would be returned (potentially)... which would pretty much negate any "Save the R-Code" benefits being thrown out there in this thread.

Sorry guys - I'm with Roy on this one. I just don't see the 'Perfect Storm' buyer showing up anytime soon.

Thanks guys, you've given me a lot of suggestions. Im looking at the difference between going Scots way, (crate) vs. my original idea which is just as much money. I may just garage the whole drive trane and start fresh with modern equipment. I dont know anything about the new computer wiring requirements and harness. I guess that will take some research. Not as easy as the old engine but the new engine does have the knock sensors and many other enhancements that will make the engine more "driveable".

I do want to go with the six speed and hydraulic clutch so the wife can drive it. The pedal on the old clutch was just too stiff for her.

THANKS A BUNCH SCOTT FOR THAT IDEA. I didnt even consier the crate motor before.
No sweat..It just makes alot of sense if you do the research..It's not really that hard to do..I still have a bunch of time before I'm ready & I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a totaled new stang.. It's only a matter of time before they start popping up in the junk yards.

QCode, after I added up the EFI (Mass-Flo), the new drive trane (six spd, new bellhousing, flywheel, dual hydraulic clutch and alum drive shaft, the Paxton V2000($4K), Electronic ignition ($400), Headers, ($400), electric steering, electric water pump, electric fuel pump, Im looking at around $18K..

The wife is now giving me grief about the money so I may be putting the entire drive trane on the market to help offset the cost.

My thinking is that you can shave a bunch of coin off that 18 large by waiting to do the super charger & the electric steering... A new crate efi motor is going to have plenty of balls..Down the road you can add the super charger IF you feel you need it. JMHO

No sweat..It just makes alot of sense if you do the research..It's not really that hard to do..I still have a bunch of time before I'm ready & I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a totaled new stang.. It's only a matter of time before they start popping up in the junk yards.

My thinking is that you can shave a bunch of coin off that 18 large by waiting to do the super charger & the electric steering... A new crate efi motor is going to have plenty of balls..Down the road you can add the super charger IF you feel you need it. JMHO
Scott the August Modified Mustangs & Fords has a rite up about Vintage Airs power steering kit for the 5.0 Coyote. It looks like Mustang Central is installing it on a 71-73.

The only problem with claiming such rareness, is having documentation to back it all up. This day and age, Marti Reports and other supporting documentation is so important. And even then, you have to line up the right buyer to get the best sale. Based on what little I've seen with the big name auctions (BJ, Mecum, etc.), I just don't think you're going to get the 'Perfect Storm' buyer who: A. loves '71-'73 Mustangs, B. knows the differences between the models and build codes, and C. had deep enough pockets to obtain such a car, price be damned no matter what condition it's in.

Rare car? Sure. Marketable in it's current condition? Doubtful. Worth enough to haul in more than a fully restored Boss 351? Not without being willing to spend more than would be returned (potentially)... which would pretty much negate any "Save the R-Code" benefits being thrown out there in this thread.

Sorry guys - I'm with Roy on this one. I just don't see the 'Perfect Storm' buyer showing up anytime soon.
Like i said..counts on the shape of the body and car...Im just saying...If it was me...I would put the motor away if its too much to put her back ...and get a used cleveland 4v to build into a monster...Same motor pretty much..With out destroying a peice of rare mustang history...If it scatters...it will be alot more heart breaking...If a non numbers matching blows...It hurts..But not as bad;)..lol..motor still has original aluminum manifold even and vavle covers..cool

All counts on what anyone can afford..But all the parts from that HO if already paid for will go right in a cleveland 4v too of cource...And if the HO never been rebuild...Last thing you wanna do is put a super charger on it..hehe...Alot of question..But i ran across a few 4v clevelands even local that run for 400 too 800 bucks...I would grab them up before i thought about doing that to a HO or Boss motor...But thats just me...If he does build it..I will say.Thats one bad arse HO motor!! hehe

Like i said..counts on the shape of the body and car...Im just saying...If it was me...I would put the motor away if its too much to put her back ...and get a used cleveland 4v to build into a monster...Same motor pretty much..With out destroying a peice of rare mustang history...If it scatters...it will be alot more heart breaking...If a non numbers matching blows...It hurts..But not as bad;)..lol..motor still has original aluminum manifold even and vavle covers..cool

All counts on what anyone can afford..But all the parts from that HO if already paid for will go right in a cleveland 4v too of cource...And if the HO never been rebuild...Last thing you wanna do is put a super charger on it..hehe...Alot of question..But i ran across a few 4v clevelands even local that run for 400 too 800 bucks...I would grab them up before i thought about doing that to a HO or Boss motor...But thats just me...If he does build it..I will say.Thats one bad arse HO motor!! hehe
No, I get what you're saying. I was just looking at the whole picture of keeping the car numbers matching, tossing on a paint job, selling it for a premium price and taking the money to a new project. It's a nice pipe-dream, but there's a break-over point of investment vs. profit that never lines up for our cars. I know I'm $16K into my lowly 'H-code,' and can't even drive it yet (granted, I'm sure mine was a worse starting point initially than his). After mine's done, I'm pretty sure I'd never get my money back IF the day ever came to sell it.

Putting the drive-train aside wouldn't be a bad deal... at least if he decided to cash-in on the rarity, he might get some decent coin for it... and could be picky until the right bid came along if he chooses to. I'm also warming up to Q's idea of the Coyote crate engine - I know $8K of my investment is all engine/exhaust at this point... and I don't even have everything in there yet. Had I seen that coming, I might've gone Coyote as well.

I'm also warming up to Q's idea of the Coyote crate engine - I know $8K of my investment is all engine/exhaust at this point... and I don't even have everything in there yet. Had I seen that coming, I might've gone Coyote as well.
I don't think the Coyote will fit with the shock towers, so that would be a really expensive option with cutting the towers and putting in a whole new strut suspension. I have heard the 32 valve 4.6L doesn't even fit in a 71-73.

A much better idea would be a 351 based small block crate motor, stroked to 427 from Ford Racing. No blower needed with that 535hp beast!

http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/main.asp#tfo

Mustang Monthly had an article a few issues back where Gateway Classics jammed a Coyote into a '69. Our engine bays are bigger than the ones in '69-'70s, so I believe it would fit just fine.

mump-1202-06+1969-gateway-classic-1969-mustang-coyote-wild+engine-bay.jpg

Article: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_1202_1969_gateway_classic_mustang_coyote_wild/index.html

On a completely unrelated note: For The Record - the wheels on that '69 are just about the ONLY 18" wheels I would consider stuffing under mine - and I admit to having thoughts of that nature (I feel so dirty now).

About 5 years ago an MM artical said that "if it's got shock towers, it's going to need cutting to fit a mod-motor". They were talking about the 4.6L, isn't the Coyote is wider??

I'll have to read that artical. Maybe Gateway notched the towers? (and no doubt added a suspension). You can be certain that was an mui $$$$ expensive build with Gateway at the helm.

About 5 years ago an MM artical said that "if it's got shock towers, it's going to need cutting to fit a mod-motor". They were talking about the 4.6L, isn't the Coyote is wider??

I'll have to read that artical. Maybe Gateway notched the towers? (and no doubt added a suspension). You can be certain that was an mui $$$$ expensive build with Gateway at the helm.
The article linked above lists "Dynacorn notched shock towers."

I think there is a bit more room in the '71-'73 engine bay, though.

Mustang Monthly had an article a few issues back where Gateway Classics jammed a Coyote into a '69. Our engine bays are bigger than the ones in '69-'70s, so I believe it would fit just fine.

mump-1202-06+1969-gateway-classic-1969-mustang-coyote-wild+engine-bay.jpg

Article: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_1202_1969_gateway_classic_mustang_coyote_wild/index.html

On a completely unrelated note: For The Record - the wheels on that '69 are just about the ONLY 18" wheels I would consider stuffing under mine - and I admit to having thoughts of that nature (I feel so dirty now).
Not so fast my friend

"

Gateway purchased the ’69 SportsRoof from a customer, then stripped it down to the bare body for a complete sheetmetal restoration before beginning the transformation into a Mustang restomod with a modern powerplant. In the engine compartment, the factory shock towers were replaced by Dynacorn’s notched shock towers, which provide clearance for the wide 5.0L Coyote engine while also maintaining the factory structural integrity. At the rear, the wheelwell housings were “mini-tubbed” by adding 1-inch to each side to accommodate the planned meaty P335/30R18 rear tires.

With the notched shock towers providing clearance, the Coyote 5.0L drops right into the vintage Mustang engine compartment using Gateway’s frame mounting system that adapts the 5.0L’s engine mounts to the Mustang chassis. A Quicktime bellhousing connects the Keisler RS500 5-speed manual transmission to the engine, while a stout 9-inch rearend from The 9-Inch Factory transfers the 412hp to the ground through 3.50 gears in a Tru-Trac limited-slip differential"

Yes, according to the article - they did indeed add their own suspension and notched the shock towers.

But again, it's a '69... and our cars have more room between the shock towers than the previous models. The engine bays in our vehicles were purposely designed to stuff in big blocks without any trimming whatsoever.

Instead of speculating, we'll know more when Q gets his done, if I read his response to another thread correctly, that is. ;)

Latest posts

Back