72 R code restoMod project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the Coyote will fit with the shock towers, so that would be a really expensive option with cutting the towers and putting in a whole new strut suspension. I have heard the 32 valve 4.6L doesn't even fit in a 71-73.

A much better idea would be a 351 based small block crate motor, stroked to 427 from Ford Racing. No blower needed with that 535hp beast!

It sure does! This is the motor Ill be putting in the "R" Code. And Ill be posting the Marti next.

The Pegasus Mustang is a Mach1 with a Coyote motor in it:

http://www.goolsbycustoms.com/projects/project-pegasus-1971-ford-mustang/

And for those that need proof:

t4z11s.jpg

The car was in very good shape before I tore it down to bare body. It will be in perfect shape when Im done. Better than new.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-72-r-code-being-resto-moded

The tunnel needs a slight modification for the 6 speed. Simply cut a 4" square on the left side and then put a slightly bulged cover over it to clear linkages. The crate Coyote motor will fit nicely in the Mach if you use an under dash power brake booster and electric R&P steering by RRS in Australia. Flamming River makes some nice units too but not really for the 71-73. RRS makes them SPECIFICALLY for the 71-73 mustang. Bolts right in with NO MODs. They also make the independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes (4 piston 14" rotors). They make the only spindles that are specifically designed for modern low profile 30 series tires.

In as far as building the car to sell complete, that is way too much work. I dont want to build two of these. I have been offered $12K for the entire drive train and I may just sell that without the body. IT IS ALL numbers matching and the car has never been restored prior with 57K miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tip of the day.. When migging sheet metal use .025 mig. wire. NO MORE Blow through s!

Keep gas at around 10-12 PSI. Too high a gas will also allow blow through s. Lastly, even though its hot.. DO NOT run a fan directly on you when you are migging. The Argon gas is easily displaced by the ambient air from the fan..

RRS, GREAT COMPANY Secializing in 71-73.... UNLIKE Flamming River.
I can't get to that site from work (Uncle Sam's computers)... so, I'll check it when I get home.

Oooh - maybe they have replacement steering columns ,too. I'd rather pony up for a brand new column and coupler, than a used stocker with a rag-joint any day.

But again, it's a '69... and our cars have more room between the shock towers than the previous models. The engine bays in our vehicles were purposely designed to stuff in big blocks without any trimming whatsoever.
Better get out the tape measure before throwing down that credit card for the Coyote. The 32 valve engines are wider than any of the old big blocks.

Mod motors are WIDE. The thought came to me of building a pi 4.6 laying around but quickly shot that idea about a year ago. I like being different and love the exhuast note of the mod motors though.

The pegagsis Mach1 resto used a Coyote... Look it up on google . There is lots of pictures proving it does fit. ALthough Im moding the shock towers by using the RRS units. This give an additional 11 inches for headers and for hands and arms to change plugs.

But again, it's a '69... and our cars have more room between the shock towers than the previous models. The engine bays in our vehicles were purposely designed to stuff in big blocks without any trimming whatsoever.
Better get out the tape measure before throwing down that credit card for the Coyote. The 32 valve engines are wider than any of the old big blocks.
Yeah - I have no plans for a Coyote engine myself... I haven't even fired up my recently rebuilt 351C yet. If you recall, all I said was effectively, "had I known how much investment I'd be putting into simply rebuilding my 351C, I might've gone with a Coyote engine instead."

I also have no idea how much wider the 'Mod Engine blocks' are than, say a 351C... so of course one would need to measure before committing - I think that's a given. "My Opinion" is based on 'if they're getting away with simply notching the shock towers on a '69, that could mean little or no problems for '71-'73s because of the wider trac and larger engine compartment.' There will also be a lot of other things to consider when jamming into modern components into our old stuff. Nowhere did I ever say it was a done deal.

Sorry philt, for your thread getting 'jacked - definitely did not mean for it to turn into such a controversial topic.

Are the shock towers going to be completely removed? I could use a set on nice ones!

The pegagsis Mach1 resto used a Coyote... Look it up on google . There is lots of pictures proving it does fit. ALthough Im moding the shock towers by using the RRS units. This give an additional 11 inches for headers and for hands and arms to change plugs.
Under the hood of Pegasus was all custom also. Not saying not to do it but do your homework this will not be plug and play.

I don't know how much money you guys are talking about throwing into these engines, but I can tell you in Australia with the RRS components you need for these things, looking at a minimum of 20 grand to install a mod motor. Then we have to go the added step of engineering which isn't cheap either.

Just can't justify the cost in my opinion. Unless you have loads of money and don't care:)

Looks like Ill have to start another thread once the pics start flowing!

No worries, its a controversial thing I'm doing but IMO, there are MANY more people with funds that like resto mods than purist Mustang owners with money. Not to sound snobby but, I have three Corvettes, 05 Convertible, 63 Split Window,& 60 coupe. ALL orginal, ALL low mileage (the 05 less than 8000 miles) 7500 put on the first two weeks I owned the car.

Corvette people are a bit different breed. They HAVE the money to spend $150,000.00 on an original 63 Split window.

NO "R" code 72 Mustang will ever bring in that kind of money. Period. So as everyone says, its my car and although I appreciate the input, I think the car will be worth MORE and more importantly, attract MORE of the kind of people that can afford a modern resto mod than an orignal R code Mustang ever will with its hand crank windows, crappy suspension, terrible brakes, horrible ride and cheap vinyl/plastic interior.

The notching kit from RRS add an additional 11" between the shock tower. The Coyote motor will fit according to Macky at RRS. He has done several 71-73 aftermarket retros. One issue I will have is cutting the tunnel to allow the six speed to fit and using modified engine mounts (supplied by RRS) to mount the motor in place.

One issue I will have is cutting the tunnel to allow the six speed to fit and using modified engine mounts (supplied by RRS) to mount the motor in place.
A Tremec TKO-600 will fit nice without cutting. It handles 600ft/lbs of torque. It is a 5-speed, but IMO the extra OD gear on the 6-speed only is good above 100mph anyway.

Since the "R" code came with a 3.91 ratio rear end, with 26.7" high tires (325X30X20") at 62.5 MPH the car will be running 1900 RPM.

This will be good on gas and make the car a great cruiser...

Thanks for the suggestion... Ill look into this option. Especially if it requires no cutting!

BTW, the project car now has a name...

The Kiger Mustang... One of the rarest mustangs on the planet.

And it will be. Trust me on this one. ;)

Looks like Ill have to start another thread once the pics start flowing!

No worries, its a controversial thing I'm doing but IMO, there are MANY more people with funds that like resto mods than purist Mustang owners with money. Not to sound snobby but, I have three Corvettes, 05 Convertible, 63 Split Window,& 60 coupe. ALL orginal, ALL low mileage (the 05 less than 8000 miles) 7500 put on the first two weeks I owned the car.

Corvette people are a bit different breed. They HAVE the money to spend $150,000.00 on an original 63 Split window.

NO "R" code 72 Mustang will ever bring in that kind of money. Period. So as everyone says, its my car and although I appreciate the input, I think the car will be worth MORE and more importantly, attract MORE of the kind of people that can afford a modern resto mod than an orignal R code Mustang ever will with its hand crank windows, crappy suspension, terrible brakes, horrible ride and cheap vinyl/plastic interior.

The notching kit from RRS add an additional 11" between the shock tower. The Coyote motor will fit according to Macky at RRS. He has done several 71-73 aftermarket retros. One issue I will have is cutting the tunnel to allow the six speed to fit and using modified engine mounts (supplied by RRS) to mount the motor in place.
I like your attitude, Hey its my car and my check book, I am going to built it how I want! I also like most of the mods done so far to better the ride, stance, look, etc. The one thing I would have changed would be to have installed a Boss 429- 427 Cammer etc. I am old school and find it hard to get past era correct builds! The cushy rides of today are fabulous for the Ol ladies cruiser but for my money its the smell of race gas in your clothes, ears ringing from the wail of a highly modified big block, sore left leg from rowing thru the gears on that damned old top loader 4 speed:D Thats what makes building these cars so much fun we all have our ideas of what we think is best. keep the pics flowing;)

Since the "R" code came with a 3.91 ratio rear end, with 26.7" high tires (325X30X20") at 62.5 MPH the car will be running 1900 RPM.

This will be good on gas and make the car a great cruiser...
The TKO-600 can be had with a .64 OD also. That would be good with the 3.91. It has a 1st gear of 2.87, so it have more bark in 1st gear than the toploader.

I went with the TKO-500 cause I didn't want to change my 3.00 rear gear. It has an agressive 3.27 first gear so it really livened it up. It fit perfect in the trans tunnel and has the same case as the TKO-600, no cutting and a Hurst shifter fits the origional hole with the origional (shorty) console. It looks just like an origional 4-sp Hurst shifter.

Thanks 71 Mach (name?). After talking with my local Tremec dealer (Powered by Ford in Orlando).

I decided to go with the close ratio T56 Magnum six speed. According to them, they have done a few Machs and although they have not done a six speed, If I'm careful with engine placement, I can get by without a tunnel mod. What sold me on the Magnum is the much closer shift points and much smoother operation. The TKO can get that smooth but it takes more aftermarket shift kits. Its the same Tranny that's in my wife's 05 Vette and I love the way it shifts. I have found a lower rack and pinion over what RRS makes (plus much less and no shipping costs) so that will buy me around 2" under the engine to lower it a bit more. I need to work out the details with the dealer. They are supplying me the complete drive train including the Coyote, Bell housing, dual hydraulic clutch, Magnum 6 speed and aluminum drive shaft. They saved me thousands over some of the other guys. Coyote M50 for $6400.00 - $1000 less than Summit. The rest of the suspension is coming from streetortrack.com Those guys have a VERY nice coil over spring and brake kit along with a nice watts linkage with coil overs in the back.

Thanks 71 Mach (name?). After talking with my local Tremec dealer (Powered by Ford in Orlando).

I decided to go with the close ratio T56 Magnum six speed. According to them, they have done a few Machs and although they have not done a six speed, If I'm careful with engine placement, I can get by without a tunnel mod. What sold me on the Magnum is the much closer shift points and much smoother operation. The TKO can get that smooth but it takes more aftermarket shift kits. Its the same Tranny that's in my wife's 05 Vette and I love the way it shifts. I have found a lower rack and pinion over what RRS makes (plus much less and no shipping costs) so that will buy me around 2" under the engine to lower it a bit more. I need to work out the details with the dealer. They are supplying me the complete drive train including the Coyote, Bell housing, dual hydraulic clutch, Magnum 6 speed and aluminum drive shaft. They saved me thousands over some of the other guys. Coyote M50 for $6400.00 - $1000 less than Summit. The rest of the suspension is coming from streetortrack.com Those guys have a VERY nice coil over spring and brake kit along with a nice watts linkage with coil overs in the back.
Good Deal Phil ! & Perfect choices YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE the SOT stuff! Shaun is a great guy to deal with & super knowledgeable..Not sure if you spoke to him yet but tell him your a member here & I sent you (My vids are on his site) He may cut you a break on price. Funny we have a 05 vette too ! Awsome car. Here's my install on my car of the sot frt coilover setup..I also did the cobra 4 wheel disc conversion from them. Also as far rear end susp stuff goes Your best bet is the ride tech setup..http://www.ridetech.com/store/1964-1970-ford-mustang-airbar.htmlalthough listed for 1970 mustang it does fit our cars with very little mods.. I have pictures of the mods required.

Back