72 R code restoMod project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AmericanPowerTrain never sent me a quote! I have been begging them for one for about a week. Must be nice not to need the business! As an owner myself and a salesman, I find it hard to buy from people that wont even return your quote requests!!!

If they have this bad of customer support prior to the sale, what kind of service will you get once they have your money??

So I' a bit leery of AmericanPowerTrain at this point in time.

Scott. those are your videos??? I was watching them just this morning. Great stuff!!!

BTW, I'll be doing my own shock tower notching. I'll take some pictures as I go. Decided to make my own plates out of 1/8" stock.

RRS was the only people making them for the 71-73 ( $265.00 + shipping from AUS)

For those with the equipment, plasma cutter and mig, it's not rocket science.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would call gray directly, no sales people

As I suspected he knew nothing about the no reply deal so look for a response soon if I know Gray. Like I said before super people to deal with. Exchanged a few emails within the last 5 minutes on the subject

AmericanPowerTrain never sent me a quote! I have been begging them for one for about a week. Must be nice not to need the business! As an owner myself and a salesman, I find it hard to buy from people that wont even return your quote requests!!!

If they have this bad of customer support prior to the sale, what kind of service will you get once they have your money??

Scott. those are your videos??? I was watching them just this morning. Great stuff!!!

BTW, I'll be doing my own shock tower notching. I'll take some pictures as I go. Decided to make my own plates out of 1/8" stock.

RRS was the only people making them for the 71-73 ( $265.00 + shipping from AUS)

I am one of the owners of American Powertrain and all I can say when I see a post like this is YIKES!!! We are here, answering phones and emails ten hours a day and helping people with tech support 24/7. Not sure where your request went, but for goodness sakes don't give up on us. If you will PM me your contact information I will have someone on the phone with you first thing in the morning. We have over 200 transmissions in stock, along with all the support parts and systems for a great installation. And I am here, too. If you don't want to PM me you can email me at [email protected].

I look forward to helping you out.

Respects,

Gray

Yes Phil..My vids & Car..Exactly.. notching the towers is no biggie for a competent fabricator. Your gonna be much happier with the sot stuff..One of the members here also doing a restomod had nothing but trouble with the RRS stuff..from parts that didn't fit to waiting months to get his stuff..He actually gave up on using the RRS stuff..I will try & find his posts.

Yes Phil..My vids & Car..Exactly.. notching the towers is no biggie for a competent fabricator. Your gonna be much happier with the sot stuff..One of the members here also doing a restomod had nothing but trouble with the RRS stuff..from parts that didn't fit to waiting months to get his stuff..He actually gave up on using the RRS stuff..I will try & find his posts.
Thanks for the feedback. The only thing I think Ill be forced into purchasing is the Rack and Pinion. They are the only ones that make one for a 71-73. Don't be fooled into thinking a 1970 will fit. IT WONT. Frame rails are too far apart.

I'm getting very frustrated with American Mustang aftermarket manufacturers. They say there is NO market for a Rack and Pinion for 71-73.... Last time someone got me this frustrated I manufactured my own product to compete and they ate their words.

I am one of the owners of American Powertrain and all I can say when I see a post like this is YIKES!!! We are here, answering phones and emails ten hours a day and helping people with tech support 24/7. Not sure where your request went, but for goodness sakes don't give up on us. If you will PM me your contact information I will have someone on the phone with you first thing in the morning. We have over 200 transmissions in stock, along with all the support parts and systems for a great installation. And I am here, too. If you don't want to PM me you can email me at [email protected].

I look forward to helping you out.

Respects,

Gray
Thanks Gray. As an owner of an American manutacturer (non automobile related) I would like to know which of my employees are doing me good and which are not... Not to put you on the spot but here it is:

Paul M. Unterstein

American Powertrain,

A TREMEC Elite Distributor

(931) 646-4836 ext 102

This guy is not helping you.... Trust me on this one from one business owner to another.

Best of luck.

Phil Tuttobene

Original Patent owner of Red Box Video and American Business owner IN SPITE of Obama. ;)

An alternative to RRS:

Fatman Fabrications also makes complete front suspension kit with rack and pinion for a 71-73.

I think they use a Mustang II rack in their kit.

Update:

American Power train got back to me first thing today. We suspect for some reason my hotmail acct wasnt accepting their emails.

So I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and make a public apology to them regarding their "poor customer service".

Scott, I called FatMan fabs today, you are correct, they make an ENTIRE front conversion system including the R&P set up for our cars. Bolts tot he existing cross member making it super strong. $1900.00. They also gave me some references and are mailing me the installation manual (too large to email). This would save me around $2000.00 over the RRS unit plus I'm buying from an American company which as an owner of an American manufacturing company, means a great deal to me.

It may not be quite as nice as the RRS unit but its got to be MUCH better than the stock linkage and all the problems that it had.

end to end is 2.7 turns versus the 4+ turns on the stock steering. Turning radius is "about the same" with no complaints many units operational in field.

Scott, you have been a valuable reference for this project. I may need to give you "vendor credit" when docs are produced! LOL. :D

I guess I now know how my buddy Steve McCain felt when he showed his modified 1953 (serial # 77) Corvette.

Now that WAS A RARE RESTOMOD!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=544145&page=2

BTW, Steve sold the car after years of showing (good times) for $72,000.00. Steve could have held out for more but needed the money for his next project.

Know the feeling. ;)

Actually I'm Carl, not Scott but these car forums are really more like Auto-holics Anonymous!

$1900 for the Fatman kit seems like a good price. Wish I had know about them before I spent

on a rebuilt stock steering box and replacing the bad suspension and steering parts. The stock

Mach1 setup is OK for my occasional use though, and it's old school feel is so nostalgic!

If I want to go drive mountain roads, my DD ('07 hemi Charger with the Road/Track handling pkg)

is more than adequate for the task.

Tubing out rear wheel wells this weekend! Will allow the restomod to fit 29" H by 14" wide tires. 355X30X20" ZR1 tires to be exact!

Re building the frame rails 2" inward and continuing them all the way to the front (Like Ford should have done originally).

Using 3"X1.5" 1/8" tube.

::welcome::

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.417780018274667.123943.100001280181143&type=1

Ive been trying to load pics here with no luck. The site keeps locking up.
sthe idea of an R conversion from the original q code, did that additionally w/upgrade to 9.5:1 compression and in the middle of a dyno tune on my Holley Avenger EFI w/the 400 hp max set up, has it at 1300 rpm's on idle and in the middle of a test run. see my engine among 300 pics on page 5 of my photo album will see the lunati hi pro flat camshaft addition then for raised hp and compression of +hp and least .5 on the compression, should see 300+ hp and the minimum recommended for optimal use of the camshaft.

Latest posts

Back