72' Rag joint replacement inquiry

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a 1973 Cougar tilt steering column from a parted out Cougar. I want to install it in our 1973 Mach 1, just because. As I researched the parts needed I found the rag joint for the tilt wheel steering columns is not the same as with non-tilt columns. The difference is in the metal clamp with the notches cut into the steering gear input shaft and the metal coupler of the rag joint. I hunted everywhere for a new rag joint or rebuild kit, but found nothing for the tilt wheel with power steering. Then a fellow enthusiast suggested I reach out to West Coast Classic Cougar. I have gotten some things form them in the past, and enjoy watching their YouTube videos. So, I took a look, and they listed the part, but said it was not in stock (used part). But, they had a box I could check to report I was interested in one if they ever got one. About a year later they emailed me and advised they had one rag joint for the 1973 Cougar or Mustang with Power Steering and a Tilt Wheel. I jumped on it, and am now waiting for Spring to break to get back on that project.

Anyway, they may be worth reaching out to for your rag joint issue:

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/
Good folks...

Good morning, I have a question concerning rag joint replacement on a 72' Mach 1
The car currently has a 351 Cleveland, automatic transmission and headers.
From reviewing the "sparse" youtube videos on this subject I cannot find what I am wanting to know so hopefully someone will jump on and answer my questions and hopefully offer some installation suggestions.

I have a replacement Rag Joint from CJ Pony Parts "Coupler 201"
Can this rag joint be changed out without unbolting the steering box?
From watching one video it appears that the original design allowed you to unbolt the steering column and then pull it back to gain the clearance needed to remove the old part and then install the new part? Is this correct?
I have not been under the car yet so I do not know if they will present any problems for this change out.
This work will take place with the car on jack stands as a lift is not available at the location where the car is.
One video showed this replacement with the engine out of the car and that would be nice however I do not have that option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
I've seen many guys use a u-joint in place of that rag joint, but I'm not sure how that a would feel while driving. I think the u-jont would defnitely hold up better, but it may also transmit more road noise and feel (not really a bad thing though) to the steering column (and steering wheel) as well. I think I saw the u-joint advertised on both NPD's and CJ Pony Parts website and if I recall they were not very costly.

I picked up a 1973 Cougar tilt steering column from a parted out Cougar. I want to install it in our 1973 Mach 1, just because. As I researched the parts needed I found the rag joint for the tilt wheel steering columns is not the same as with non-tilt columns. The difference is in the metal clamp with the notches cut into the steering gear input shaft and the metal coupler of the rag joint. I hunted everywhere for a new rag joint or rebuild kit, but found nothing for the tilt wheel with power steering. Then a fellow enthusiast suggested I reach out to West Coast Classic Cougar. I have gotten some things form them in the past, and enjoy watching their YouTube videos. So, I took a look, and they listed the part, but said it was not in stock (used part). But, they had a box I could check to report I was interested in one if they ever got one. About a year later they emailed me and advised they had one rag joint for the 1973 Cougar or Mustang with Power Steering and a Tilt Wheel. I jumped on it, and am now waiting for Spring to break to get back on that project.

Anyway, they may be worth reaching out to for your rag joint issue:

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/
Good folks...
When you do the install into the 73 do you plan on making an informational tutorial video?? Would be nice to see that.

Back