73 Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Hello,

Several issues/questions about my convertible ... If the pump is low on fluid does that always mean a leak or can the fluid deplete with age ?

My top, lately has been going up but sometimes if finicky about going down, not sure if it is a switch/electrical issue or something else ?

If I find any fitting/actuators leaking is it best just to replace the whole system or fix/replace part by part ?

I have not pulled the inside rear panels to look at the actuators yet but I have heard that they usually go bad before anything else ?

My switch has 3 pieces, the switch, bezel that says up down, and a chrome nut with four slots that threads onto the switch and holds everything together. Am I missing any other parts ?

Thanks for the advice.

steve

Hi Steve

If the pump is low it is probably a leak. Basically it is type f transmission fluid and it doesn't evaporate.

I have replaced the actuators, the pump and the lines. All at different times. No need to replace all of it if just one part is giving you issues.

If you remove your interior quarter trim panels and the rear seat you will probably find your missing pump fluid?

The upside is it keeps the rear floor pan from rusting!

Replacement hose and fitting kits are available. CJ's even has a video on how to replace but on mine it was the piston seals in the lift cylinders that were leaking.

Hi Steve

If the pump is low it is probably a leak. Basically it is type f transmission fluid and it doesn't evaporate.

I have replaced the actuators, the pump and the lines. All at different times. No need to replace all of it if just one part is giving you issues.
Thanks for the info. !

If you remove your interior quarter trim panels and the rear seat you will probably find your missing pump fluid?

The upside is it keeps the rear floor pan from rusting!

Replacement hose and fitting kits are available. CJ's even has a video on how to replace but on mine it was the piston seals in the lift cylinders that were leaking.
Thanks, I will just add this to the list !

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back