73 Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Saturday and a little more progress. I used Raptor liner to do the bottom of the car, tail panel, and front valance.

Looking good. Don't forget the 1/4" pinstrip above the blackout. It really makes a difference.
thanks the plan. Im considering doing it in Red though

Ive been fighting this thing because im stubborn and i like things customized a bit. Ive been fitting a 71 bumper with an angle iron bracket....Really should of used the stock brackets and just cut them down but its slowly getting where it needs to be. I have to adjust my doors, get the trunk and hood painted but the paint is on the way for a Satin black on them..... Ive also ended up having to cut off the rear valance due to previous hack work but i am going to bedline the bumpers to match the lower part of the car.

Hopefully i make some progress soon

Well been busy busy. My bumpers are all painted in bed liner. Got the hood, Trunk, Rear spoilers, and accessories painted but messed up my gun settings. So i got back coverage and runs. So ill have to wet sand and respray

Man you work fast!

Pitty you have to redo, may be you could try to paint with the parts flat, as on the car (looks like you have the space). With bits lower harding component if the temp is higher than 20C/68F. This not only prevents runs, but also insure the surface will stretch more as it hardens slower, giving a nicer finish. On side, you are forced to use either more air pressure and less paint possibly giving a haze to have thin layer or to spray more faster and get orange peel. Not to mention its harder to get same amount of paint on the surface looking down, which you discover only when done!

Downside is that you need first paint the under side first and have it hard enough to do the other side.

Good luck with the sanding! Got tons to do ahead of me and I hate it already! :)

Man you work fast!

Pitty you have to redo, may be you could try to paint with the parts flat, as on the car (looks like you have the space). With bits lower harding component if the temp is higher than 20C/68F. This not only prevents runs, but also insure the surface will stretch more as it hardens slower, giving a nicer finish. On side, you are forced to use either more air pressure and less paint possibly giving a haze to have thin layer or to spray more faster and get orange peel. Not to mention its harder to get same amount of paint on the surface looking down, which you discover only when done!

Downside is that you need first paint the under side first and have it hard enough to do the other side.

Good luck with the sanding! Got tons to do ahead of me and I hate it already! :)
I took a 4 day weekend just to accomplish this.

It really was just an issue with me not adjusting my gun properly. I actually put it like this for 2 reasons. 1 because on big objects i tend to get striping when i have it flat. Plus like you mentioned. I can hit both sides.  Funny part is the bottom looks halfway decent. My runs are all on the top half of the hood lol

Hopefully my wet sand will go good tomorrow and i can respray all in one day. Luckily with using hardner this stuff drives quick but its 91F here today. So its HOT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
well its mostly sanded down but was starting to clump on the paper. So i let it sit and will hit it with some finer grit before respray. Hopefully i can spray again this weekend

went much much better this time around even though it doesnt show well in pics. Spent the morning sanding everything then i hit it with 3 coats. Amazing what setting your gun to the proper operating PSI will do. I also remember to actually mix the paint before mixing it with hardner and such. So the sheen is way different. I still have to paint the scoop inserts but they need some work as well as the inner areas of the trunk and fenders.

Massive difference! Bet it gave you a good feeling after that forced sanding session.
Yeah man, i was beyond happy after the first coat went down. Just have to remind myself to slow down sometimes

Im thinking about doing the Mach hood decal/paint with matte black on this satin black. Idea is to use tape to line it out without the little outline and hit it with plasti dip. Its kinda going to be like a ghost look. Just slightly dull in comparison so may be hard to tell unless you look or it may stand out more then i think.

Thoughts?

Blacked out the inner areas for hood and trunk. Nothing crazy. Also some misc parts were painted. Gonna start on the intake and carb next week

Finally got back to work. So i was all ready to go and remove the intake and it was a giant pain in the butt!!! The distributor is stuck, everything is in the way. I had to use a pry bar to break the manifold free. But ive got it off and cleaned. Next comes installing it but i need to wait on a couple parts. 

Can someone help me with what all the vacuum lines go to? I have 3 on the intake that split off the break booster. Then i guess its one, that screw on right below the carbs choke? WTF? Lines everywhere!! lol

Any i can just get rid of?

On the bright side..Engine looks clean

got a little more done. Modified the throttle cable bracket to where it will work. Then made a return spring bracket. Still have a way to o, including some new hoses and fluids. Hopefully ill get her started soon. Need to find a new C clip for the throttle cable as mine is missing.

Finally got a little more done. After ripping some threads out of my aluminum intake I found a longer screw for the one corner. Then I realized I didnt need the bracket I made so I setup my spring system. Pulled off the fuel filter and started shaking it and rust just started coming out. So I'll be replacing it. I then installed the trunk finally. It was int he way I was starting to think I'd scratch it. I cant bekieve what a pain in the ass it was then get lined up. It's still too far to one side but without being able to shim it I dont know how to adjust that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well did a few more things on the engine and its nearly ready to get started and tuned. I moved on to the leaf springs. What a pain! I broke the bolt off one shock and had to cut the shackle bolt on the passenger side. Then on top of it the poly bushing I guess I ordered are a pain!! Plus the exhaust is in the way. I did change over to 5 leaf springs and I added a 1"

Back