73 Interior Color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KT-69

Reaction score
My Car
All 65 to 73
I ordered white seats for my 73 mustang convertible. Taking them out of the box the seat colors appear to be a pearl or creamy white color not true white? Anyone know what color that would be? The original Door panels have the same off white look however I just thought they had yellowed over the years? Perhaps this a correct color the photo's of 73 mustang i see with white interior look very white. Anyway I actually like the color withthe red exterior but I need to paint the door panels and have no idea what to call this color to get a match with the seats.

I ordered white seats for my 73 mustang convertible. Taking them out of the box the seat colors appear to be a pearl or creamy white color not true white? Anyone know what color that would be? The original Door panels have the same off white look however I just thought they had yellowed over the years? Perhaps this a correct color the photo's of 73 mustang i see with white interior look very white. Anyway I actually like the color withthe red exterior but I need to paint the door panels and have no idea what to call this color to get a match with the seats.
Was your interior code CW? if so it is not snow white for sure on the seats. The door panels are whiter in my opinion. I found someone that had the original material and ordered a sample and it was the off white color just like the original. I have attached a picture of the CW pattern and material.

David

$_57[1] (2).jpg

Here is a pic of my original back seat so you can see color. The front seat is a reproduction cover with the OEM middle section material sewn in. Both appear to be an off white color.

23j283p.jpg

34efhty.jpg

Wow nice looking bucket seat. I'll check the code I am guessing it is the CW as the original seats looked just like the photo's above. My originals the inserts were so tacky dirty looking and rotten smelly I went with all vinyl seat covers. Now looking at that bucket above those look really sharp when new. So is the CW still considered or called out as "white" color? Anyone know of a CW matching door panel, console paint?

These seat covers came from CJ pony as 71-73 convertible standard white.

Take one of the vinyl covers to a local auto paint supplier. They should be able to scan the color with a gun and come up with a mix that will match the vinyl. If you get the paint in a single stage urethane, it will hold up very well (better than anything out of a typical spray paint can). Use something like the Preval system or a decent paint gun to apply.

Looks like the paint match and spray gun is my only option just to many unknowns.....I figured the rattle can would be cheaper and easy. Looks like I will be shelling some additional $$$$$ to make it look right. I have a local paint shop that is really good at mixing and matching. They have a scan gun then tweak it on in mixing by eye. Last time they did it I did not even have to blend around the panel it was spot on match. Headed that way....thanks everyone for the information and help!!!!!!

I have two cars with the CW interior code both 73 verts. One only had 48,000 miles from California so the door panels and seats cleaned up nice. I tried all the regular stuff, Blue Coral upholstery cleaner, Dawn dishwashing, Mr. Clean Magic Erasers but I found that straight lacquer thinner and a micro fiber towel and tooth brush and paint brush with bristles cut short worked wonders. The door panels now look brand new. The seats also cleaned up very nice. You have to keep changing the area of the towel to keep a clean area in use at all times to get the crud off. I had ordered samples of the original material, NO REPO, from a supplier in Oregon and the colors matched perfect after cleaning. The material is soft and pliable on the door panels and seats. If you were to paint / dye the seats and door panels I think it makes them look cheap, my opinion.

On the colors in a CW interior. Starting with the dash pad it should be black, the metal dash itself should be Black Metallic Seymour color in rattle can is 16-395, NPD #Ap-4464. The carpet should also be black and the Door Panels white with Black Carpet on the bottom. The console short or long should also be black. The consoles were just a satin black on things like the ash tray door and the plastic was molded in color so not paint. The Top Well liner is white if you have a White top and Black with Black I do not know about other color tops.

As we have all seen how the plastic rear side panels go to heck I also clean with lacquer thinner. I then spray with Krylon Fusion for plastic in Satin white. They look much better. If anyone has ever put Armor All on the interior good luck on getting anything to stick. Lots of scrubbing with Dawn and then the lacquer thinner. When you spray the paint start with very light mist coats and let flash off and keep putting mist coats. The last coat is the only one that needs to be a wet coat to make it even. This helps to prevent fish eyes caused by the silicone.

I don't have any good before and after pictures of the seat and door panel cleaning I thought I took them but too many chips and files, lol.

Hey you never know when a set of great door panels will show up I got a perfect pair of Deluxe Black door panels for $150.00 with speaker grills, wiped them off took pictures and sold them on eBay for $550.00 so just keep looking you never know what will pop up.

Get a can of lacquer thinner at wal mart of any lowe's or home depot and give it a try.

David

That sounds like it might be worth a try on the panels....however my rear vert panels look like total trash with many scratches, gouges etc.... So I might end up replacing those with better used or new. Ideal would be to find good used ones in the same code. If not I might end up painting all just to get a good match. Thanks for black metal dash panel paint color tip.

That sounds like it might be worth a try on the panels....however my rear vert panels look like total trash with many scratches, gouges etc.... So I might end up replacing those with better used or new. Ideal would be to find good used ones in the same code. If not I might end up painting all just to get a good match. Thanks for black metal dash panel paint color tip.
Good luck on finding any good OEM panels. I have two with the CW interior and need panels for both. I did find one Ginger one up North that is in much better shape. They don't get all the sun that kills the plastic in the south and west. I bought a parts car that they had sewn up vinyl covers for the inside back and they looked very original but were not of course.

Try the Lacquer thinner on the seats and door panels and you will be shocked at what comes off. Mine look like new. Just the scratched rear side panels I cannot do much with.

David

Back