73' Detailing Information

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1 Fastback 1973
Hey guys, I know there are already some posts about detailing, and I have really looked at them (ok not all but many). I'm looking for information and photos for detailing my 73 Mach 1. I'm currently detailing the underbody, then the engine bay and then the interior. Furthermore, I'm having trouble getting original photos or detailed info on what colors were used on the underbody. I read a lot about rust brown and black, but not what was used where. Perhaps you already have this experience from your own projects? Photos or links would be very helpful!

Thanks a lot
Ben

If that is your car it looks good. The underside of the car was painted slop gray up to the bottom of the floor pan (toe kick area). The the engine bay and front inner wheel wells and firewall were painted satin black. The car then went into body color with the front engine bay being covered by plastic to prevent overspray. The car was then painted body color with body color overspray getting onto the floor pans like you see in the car above with a majority of the color landing on the outward facing surfaces and slop gray on the inboard side. If the car was a Mach 1 it would then receive the lower panel black after masking above to protect body color.

If that is your car it looks good. The underside of the car was painted slop gray up to the bottom of the floor pan (toe kick area). The the engine bay and front inner wheel wells and firewall were painted satin black. The car then went into body color with the front engine bay being covered by plastic to prevent overspray. The car was then painted body color with body color overspray getting onto the floor pans like you see in the car above with a majority of the color landing on the outward facing surfaces and slop gray on the inboard side. If the car was a Mach 1 it would then receive the lower panel black after masking above to protect body color.
Thank you very much! Absolutely detailed information that I needed. I really appreciate it. I have a Mach 1. What exactly do you mean by the bottom panel being black on top after masking to protect the body color? PS: Unfortunately not my car, that would be fantastic!

Maybe you can answer whether it was really the case that parts of the underbody protection were in paint color because first the underbody and then the body was painted, or is this wrong with the original delivery in 1973? :unsure:View attachment 84657
While this is a nice example, it is a 1970 Mustang and may not be correct for a 71-73 restoration. Note the PS assembly and the lack of straps on the gas tank.

Thank you very much! Absolutely detailed information that I needed. I really appreciate it. I have a Mach 1. What exactly do you mean by the bottom panel being black on top after masking to protect the body color? PS: Unfortunately not my car, that would be fantastic!

71-72 Mach 1s had the lower body blackout or argent paint. Since you have a '73 Mach, it doesn't apply to your car.

So the thank you for your information. If I understand correctly, the 73 Mach does not have a black overcoat after the body paint, then it should actually fit with the color sprays from the body on the underbody, right? I assume that the engine compartment and the cavities of the wheel arches were black anyway?

Yes, body color overspray on the underside of the car. The article i linked has some good photos, and some that are broken. The undercarriage shot shows blue paint overspray on the front and rear torque boxes, with undercoating applied over the top. Wheel wells were slop grey with body color overspray and undercoating.

1704996822797.png

Note the engine compartment black that just rolls over the top edge of the fender aprons, and the rest is body color overspray. Pretty sad application of sound deadener, and an interesting lack of undercoating on the underside of the upper fender.

1704997559322.png

Last edited:
So the thank you for your information. If I understand correctly, the 73 Mach does not have a black overcoat after the body paint, then it should actually fit with the color sprays from the body on the underbody, right? I assume that the engine compartment and the cavities of the wheel arches were black anyway?
Let me know if you would like more pictures of the car other than what the article shares. Send me a DM and we can figure out the best way to send them to you. They are large files so in the past I have put on CD's for members, but a memory stick may also work well. One interesting note on the car is that the drivers side core support was not painted on a good portion of it and had surface rust on it.

Attachments

• 090212 282.JPG
    090212 282.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Thank you so much guys, i had read there are some documents about which markers the mustangs had, do you know the links to these documents to use them for the mustang mach 1 of 73?

Back