• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

73 Mach 1 for sale in Western MD

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfiery

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 fastback
Ivy Green
351C
49,970 miles
For sale '73 Mach 1. VIN 3F05H136427 Manufactured 10/72

My father was the original owner and it has been garage kept until the last 6 months.

NO rust and the only significant damage is a dent in right front fender which could possibly be straightened out by removing the fender and hitting with a rubber mallet but I'm not going to risk causing more damage.

49,990 miles

Runs great although I'm sure a tune up wouldn't hurt.

351C 2V

Ivy Glow Green

Original hub caps, am radio and spare tire.

Yes, there are add on's such as the side pipes, gauges and a tach that some of the good people on this site has suggested I remove, I removed the old fog lights, but I'm going to leave the rest as is and the new owner can take care of it as they see fit.

Asking $9,000.

Will be getting more pics of the engine posted in the next day or so.

I absolutely hate to sell it (I'm sure it will haunt me forever, but no choice) but since I have to I'm really hoping someone who loves these cars will give it a good home. After talking to contributers to this site I'm sure it's a great car and is in much better shape than what most of them started with.

Please feel free to contact me at this site with a message or by email and I'll answer any questions you have.

Thanks

Contact info

[email protected]

fullmustang.JPG

fullside.JPG

fullback.JPG

front2.jpg

inside1.jpg

insdieBackSeats2.jpg

Mileage.jpg

DataPlate.jpg

engine2.jpg

Engine.jpg

VIN.jpg

IMG_4733_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4747_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4748_edited-2.jpg

IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen Mustangs garaged and ones that have not been and based on the mileage quoted and condition of the engine conpartment I'd guess this car spent a lot of time as a daily driver at some point and was outdoors a lot. I've got picture of cars with much migher mileage and were garaged 99% of the time and you can tell because while they may not look brand new there is most of the original paint on the engine block and rust is very minimal.

Do not be offended by low offers from potentail buyers. If someone buys it they're going to want to spend $$$ on body work and assuming they detail the engine compartment and go through the car and determine what else it needs the cost could easily start to get into the mid teens. That is the point at which they would might have wished they looked at more cars that were recently repainted.

No offense taken. But I can't be more honest than I am. The car was garage kept until OCT '11. Mind you it was not kept in a climate controlled environment but it was enclosed and sheltered, sitting out would have left the interior faded and cracked and had many other indicators. We live in MD with very humid summers and winters where they salt the roads like crazy if there is even a threat of snow within 300 miles. The mileage is legit. I'm very confident that if a person like yourself with great knowledge of cars were to come look it over in person they would be able to look at other factors to show that what I'm saying is completely truthful.

I am 100% certain that you have much more knowledge about these cars and how to gauge them than i ever will. That being said I can say that you're wrong in this case and I hope that you won't take offense with that. There is no rust on the car anywhere and if it were left outdoors or driven as you believe in MD year round the body would be a mess, nevermind the engine. In fact is my father was a dairy farmer, my mother was a stay at home mom, and working on the farm is a 24/7/365 proposition so really there was no where and no time to drive the car much. I don't know all the factors or where to look to get the information to show that the engine in it is the engine it came with and it runs great. If there are such ID markers please give me guidance where to find it and I'll photograph it. As I stated I'm looking for advice as well as listing it here. To further illustrate the point, we had Ford trucks from that era on the farm and they rusted out from under us without ever reaching 60,000 miles. Everything out of Detroit rusted terribly during that time period. My 2001 F250 rusted out in the back of the cab and the rear wheel wells in 3 years while living in upstate NY. I know that's an extreme example but 39 years in mild winters would do the same.

Regarding the cars history, it made one trip to Florida. Other than that it"s never been more than 50 miles from our home. I respect your opinion appreciate your input and I know it comes from a great deal of knowledge and experience. I have been honest and when someone sees the car in person, they'll know its the truth. I believe if you inspected the car given your knowledge you would know everything is on the level.

As to offers, no offer is going to offend me, I just can respectfully say no. I listed it for what I did after taking into account numerous factors which were based on research from web listings but mainly came from the opinions from other members on this site. I of course hope to get as much as I can for it, and I can't express how much it's killing me to have to sell it, but I'm not going to try to mislead or rob someone. I suppose in this day and age it doesn't mean much to say, but I was raised to be fair and honest, I served 10 years as an infantryman in the Army before I was medically retired for injuries I suffered in A-stan and that reinforced those values and gave me a sense of honor. Take it with a grain of salt because I know that there are a lot of lousy people who grew up like I did and served in the military but if you have a chance to look me in the eye you'll know I'm sincere. In truth I'd be a fool to as I'm praying someone like yourself will be the person to buy it and they'd be able to call B.S. on me instantly. Then again there are a lot of fools out there. I'm sure the car is going to find a great home and the new owner will be more than pleased with their investment whatever it ends up selling for. It really is a 49,990 mile car and is in very good shape.

I sincerely thank you for taking the time to reply. You gave me something else to think about as far as the true value of the car is concerned as well as given me something else to look at in the future when I hopefully am able to replace the car. I value everyone's thoughts who has been kind enough to respond, this is a wonderful site with great people, you are no exception.

Thanks again and have a great night!

I think what VA was trying to say in a nice way is that 9k is kinda steep for the car as it sits given the current collector car market.. Take no offense but its an off color interior..nothing special plain jane 2v mach..There's nothing there from a collector standpoint that adds value ($$$) to the car (4spd..qcode..competition susp..ram air etc) It's a good solid car for some one looking to do a performance build..But guys aren't paying 9k right now for cars like that considering that the market is flooded with tons of turn key cars it's a buyers market. For a few more k you can buy a performance mach already done up.. Perfect example is the 72 I just bought http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI0n2LxOqM8

This car was a few more k than yours What Va is saying is that if someone is spending 9k whats a few more k to buy a turn key car. Again take no offense but right now thats the reality..Unless you have an uber rare car..Best of luck with the sale.

John, please don't take offense to what Rex or Scott or just about anyone on this site says. I assure you that this is the nicest site on the web where the membership is more like a brotherhood where we are looking out for each other and trying to be helpful to the other members.

Your post about the rusted trucks brings back memories of when I was stationed at Drum in upstate NY. Cars rust VERY quickly...including my 65 that has since been totally redone.

The interior on your car suggests that the mileage is what you say. Scott nailed it with it being a buyer's market right now. I hope you get the $9k. I think it is a fine car & would be a great canvas to start with. I like it a lot. Best of luck with the sale, however I hope the VA comes through so you don't have to sell. ;)

PS. Are you talking to a VA regional office manager yet about your case?

Thank you for your service and to our country. I believe what you say - I'm just surprised of the condition of the engine compartment given the low mileage.

Engine2good.JPGmyeng.jpgI dug out a photo of my engine compartment from 2003 just after I bought the car. It was an original owner car garaged all it's life and had 93,000 miles when I bougth it. As you can see it wasn't pretty but it only took a weekend to get it looking a lot better. I did not have to remove the engine so I do not even do anything I'd call a restoration but if I was to sell the car the after picture would enhance the sales price and would have been well worth the effort. I can understand just wanting to sell it as is but a little gunk degreaser and some paint and eight hours of work can make a big difference.

John, please don't take offense to what Rex or Scott or just about anyone on this site says. I assure you that this is the nicest site on the web where the membership is more like a brotherhood where we are looking out for each other and trying to be helpful to the other members.

The interior on your car suggests that the mileage is what you say. Scott nailed it with it being a buyer's market right now. I hope you get the $9k. I think it is a fine car & would be a great canvas to start with. I like it a lot. Best of luck with the sale
Agreed..I think if you have some wiggle room on price ..as Don said someones going to have a great canvas to start with.

The interior on your car suggests that the mileage is what you say. Scott nailed it with it being a buyer's market right now. I hope you get the $9k. I think it is a fine car & would be a great canvas to start with. I like it a lot. Best of luck with the sale
Agreed..I think if you have some wiggle room on price ..as Don said someones going to have a great canvas to start with.
Hey guys,

Thank you all for your input. I truly didn't take offense, after processing it a few minutes I understand where he was coming from. I think this site is unbelievable, a great site full of great information and as I said wonderful, insightful and helpful people. I posted a thread called advice the other day in the general forum looking for info of the sort you gentlemen have given me today and received a lot of good feedback. I'm the first to admit I don't know a lot about the true value of the cars and the prices I was quoted was from $5,500 to $12k with a good detail inside and out and the dent removed. The basic range was between $7,500-$9,000 so I listed it at $9 and will obviously work down from there (hopefully not too much ;) ). If the price is way high, I'm flexible as I want the car in a good "home" and I want to make a deal that makes both the buyer and myself happy at the end of the day. So much so that I would take a little less to get it into the hands of someone who is a regular on this site or one like it as opposed to a random craigslist buyer. I guess that's not great to say out loud but it's true.

I appreciate his and your input in this thread as I need all the information I can amass when a potential buyer comes and looks at the car. Both so I don't think he's taking me for a ride if he points out things like that and so I can not look like a fool quoting half knowledgeable statements from the intel gathering I've been able to do amongst 12 hour work days and hauling 3 daughters to volleyball and other places. His points were honest and he made statements were true as he saw them. Given a choice I would have preferred he asked me in the advice thread I had posted as opposed to in the thread where I'm actually trying to sell the car, not really a great thing when a man of his knowledge says it's doubtful I'm telling the complete truth in a for sale ad. BUT I also in hindsight realize he simply gave is truthful observations and I don't think he had any malice when saying it.

Ultimately when all things are considered at the end of the day I view that it's not a bad thing he brought it up. A very smart man made his observations and listed his concerns and it gave me the opportunity to publicly answer them. If a person has nothing to hide it shouldn't be a big deal at all to respond to valid questions. Had he not said something another person may have looked at it and came to the same conclusion but not bother to inquire any further. This way it's all out there for all to see and I feel that's a positive.

I'm sure there's probably a preferred maximum posting length and I've totally destroyed that, everyone's eyes glazed over by the second sentence of the second paragraph so I apologize to all. I'll keep them shorter from now on. I appreciate you guys replying to me and explaining the reasoning, but I'm happy to say I matured enough somewhere along the way to realize the big picture.

As to Ft. Drum, I'd love to talk to you more about it. I was there for almost 10 years in Triple Deuce. Send me a message offline or an email if you can, I don't get to talk to too many people who have enjoyed upstate NY winters so I'd love to share some memories with a guy who also loves Mustangs! Even working at Meade there's no one crazy enough to have gone up there first as every new soldier seems to be told run away if given a choice.

Thanks again guys, all of you. This is a great site and I mean it when I said it's great people. I appreciate all the input.

Take care

Thank you for your service and to our country.
Thank you for that! I'm really surprised at the difference and have no answer for it other than I know what I know. There is clearly a very big difference and one of you guys hopefully can answer what would make up for the difference in conditions. I'm legitimately curious as to what factors can do that ie: location, climate, whatever...

You guys have all been great. I of course do have wiggle room price wise just listed the high limit and will work with a potential buyer, especially if it's someone like yourself (hint, hint??? haha) who knows what they're doing and would love it. I have to obviously make as much as I can, but I want it to be fair to me and the buyer and that means selling it for as close to as what it's "worth". Given all the factors I know that may be hard, but I know it's doable.

Thanks again. Maybe the VA will miraculously come thru with the $15 they owe me and the car will stay with me. So unlikely it's laughable but one can hope! Hahaha!

Take care and I really do appreciate you caring enough to respond to my reply.

Thank you for your service and to our country. I believe what you say - I'm just surprised of the condition of the engine compartment given the low mileage.

I dug out a photo of my engine compartment from 2003 just after I bought the car. It was an original owner car garaged all it's life and had 93,000 miles when I bougth it. As you can see it wasn't pretty but it only took a weekend to get it looking a lot better. I did not have to remove the engine so I do not even do anything I'd call a restoration but if I was to sell the car the after picture would enhance the sales price and would have been well worth the effort. I can understand just wanting to sell it as is but a little gunk degreaser and some paint and eight hours of work can make a big difference.
The difference is amazing and would definitely be worth 8 hours. So long as I could do it like you did and not make it look hasty and cheap. To me that would be worse. So if you don't mind I'd like to get some details on how you did it to make it look so nice such as paint types, tools needed, etc... and maybe I'll try to tackle it this weekend.

I'll post it in the restoration area tomorrow and if you have time please give me all the info you can.

Well I've got to be up in 3 hours so I'm turning in. Thanks all!

Thanks for the compliments on the engine detailing. I'd remove as much as possible including the valve covers (sand blast them if you can) and get some semi-gloss black and Duplicolor Old Ford Blue DE1621 and some silver for the shock tower mounts. I did not have to repaint any of the slop grey parts like the shock tower braces or bracket for the hood latch - just clean and wax them. Remove the easy things like horns and paint them off the car. Mask off any wiring and practice with the spray can to hopefully spray only where you want paint to end up. I'd cover any green painted surfaces and the windshield and any rubber or plastic or anything else you don't want to paint with newspaper. This is all of course after a thorough cleaning and sanding prep. The prep will be 90% of the labor time with the painting being the easy part. Let eveything dry for at least a few hours and don't rush any reassembly. Keep some paint thinner handy for overspray to remove any mistakes. Of course this would be a lot easier if you remove the hood but that takes at least two people but it makes cleaning the underside of the hood so much easier it's worth it if it's pretty grungy. Good luck and post some before and after pictures.:)

The price I'm now asking on the car is $6,750

Back