73 Mach 1 Info Help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikhead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C
Hello everyone, my Dad bought a 1973 Mach 1 a couple of years ago to restore for me because he has a couple fully restored classic cars. I always wanted one and have loved mustangs. The problem we are running into, is my Dad would like to restore the Mach 1 completely original. Finding parts isn't an issue, but finding information about the Mach 1 and what original parts it had is becoming a tad difficult. Here is some information about it that I know:

1973 Mach 1

351 Cleveland

Brown/Copper Color

Power Steering

Power Brakes

Ac/Heat

Power Windows

Automatic

Hard Top

What were looking to know is there are things that talk about a ram intake, and different engine components that can make it either more valuable, or at least original. Does anyone know of a book I could buy, and or somewhere that has the different options for engines and what would add value or detract. If anyone can help that would be great.

View attachment 1N5A4750.jpgView attachment 1N5A4743.jpgView attachment 1N5A4742.jpgView attachment 1N5A4748.jpgView attachment 1N5A4746.jpg1N5A4751.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all - welcome to the best place on the web for 71-73 Mustangs! Sounds like a well optioned Mach 1 - and what a nice Dad you have! First, use the many resources you have right here on this forum. Go to the top of the home page and select "Data" and then select your year. You will find all the info you need to decode the VIN and door tag info for your car. You can also go to http://www.martiauto.com/reports2.cfm and get a Marti report for your car. That will give you a wealth of information about the options your car came with as well as build dates. You can see examples of Marti reports for cars on this forum by going to the "Data" section and clicking on Marti Reports on the drop down. Also, you can provide us with your VIN, door data plate info, and buck tag info (a tag usually found on the front radiator support that has your VIN and some other codes) and we will help. We love doing that kind of thing. Post up some pictures of your Mach 1 as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Rhode Island.

like Steve said, you need to start with the Marti Report, that will tell you everything you need to know about your dads car, and how it left the factory.

it will also tell you all of the important dates, and options.

and once you get that report, we all can all help you here, you came to the right place my freind :)

Welcome! You have found an excellent resource.

So what are the overall plans for the car? You said make it original and asked about value and giving it 'more value'.

For example, if your car came with the factory 2v Cleveland it is a little less valuable than a 4v optioned Cleveland. But putting a 4v Cleveland won't necessarily add value to your car since the 4v isn't original.

On the other hand, if you are trying to go for a concours restoration then even little parts like spark plugs and hoses can become important and 'add' value. The flip side of course is using original vs NOS or aftermarket parts. For example, if you are going for a concours restoration then aftermarket door panels would detract from the value but if your intent is to fix it up and make it a 'nice driver' than replacing bad door panels with aftermarket door panels would 'add' value.

I am happy to hear when younger folks appreciate these mustangs. They really are cool cars!

Welcome to the site from Virginia! As indicated above, the Marti report will give you a wealth of information about your particular car. The Eminger report is also available from Marti. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you all for posting!! It's great to see so many who are willing to help and are full of wonderful information. I will defiantly get on the Marti report and start with that.

In response to will e,

that answered some of the starting questions such as the 2v to a 4. I don't think he's intending for every wire that's gone bad to be replaced with one from a 73, however, I know he wants to keep it as original as possible within reason.

I will get on posting some pictures here really soon, and after getting a Marti report and looking more in depth at all the great things this site offers, I will most likely then have more specific questions.

Thank you all once again!!

Welcome from South Carolina. Check this site out, it will help you decode your VIN and door data plate info now if you have the VIN and the correct door dataplate info.

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html

As Steve said, getting a Marti Report is the best way to start finding out exactly what your Mustang was born with.

Welcome from South Carolina. Check this site out, it will help you decode your VIN and door data plate info now if you have the VIN and the correct door dataplate info.

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html

As Steve said, getting a Marti Report is the best way to start finding out exactly what your Mustang was born with.
Thank you very much for the link and your post!

Added a couple pictures, and I have found out a lot of great information!! This is a fantastic site, with even better members.

Back