73 Mach 1 Middle Console & Clock Restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really looks good installed. We patched a small area of the center console chrome with some of the chrome tape and it looks good, not perfect but good

Last edited by a moderator:
As nice as the console looks I love your two tone seat upholstery. Very nice indeed.

Looks really good - and in my eyes more complete for the interior with it! That was the same way I went with 2 years ago...

Congratulations - great decision and look ::thumb::

Tim
Tim that is a gorgeous interior.

Guys I just researched what it would cost to get the chrome parts redone on the gearshift surround part of my center console - I have several surrounds but none have good chrome - and received an estimate from Paul's Chroming of $300 but with a new copy part is available from NPD for $132 getting old parts rechromed is a none starter.

Has anyone tried the application of chrome adhesive tape like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Self-Adhesive-Pin-Striping-Stripe-Vinyl-Tape-Sticker-Car-6mm-Silver-Chrome-/231509199468?hash=item35e7060a6c&vxp=mtr ? I guess the corners would be a challenge but maybe with some heat and stretching it could be done. Thoughts anyone?
I did a repo swap on my center insert because my chrome wasn't the best. I never thought about getting the org rechromed but at $300 and a daily driver no way.

As nice as the console looks I love your two tone seat upholstery. Very nice indeed.

Tim that is a gorgeous interior.
Thank you very much for the compliment - I love it too :D

Can't wait to sit in again...

I did a repo swap on my center insert because my chrome wasn't the best. I never thought about getting the org rechromed but at $300 and a daily driver no way.
300 bucks is enormous no matter how good and professional the result will be - I would spare that money too and look for another solution...

Tim

If you are good with masking tape, get a tube of Rub and Buff Silver at your local craft store.

Then put a small amount of Rub and Buff on a Q-Tip, and apply it on the trim, buff the silver lightly with a soft cloth.

If you masked the area well, you could spray a light coat of Krylon Crystal Clear to protect the refinished silver area.

It won't be a perfect match for chrome, but will have more sheen than silver paint.

If you are good with an Xacto Knife there is this too: http://www.bare-metal.com/

Professional Model maker experience sold separately :D

Looks great, Amer! ::thumb::

Mine didn't come with one, so I had to restore one I bought on ebay. As much as I like the look of the console, I wouldn't mind not having one (my '82 Mustang never had one - and I like the clean look of no console as well).

attachment.php

If you are good with masking tape, get a tube of Rub and Buff Silver at your local craft store.

Then put a small amount of Rub and Buff on a Q-Tip, and apply it on the trim, buff the silver lightly with a soft cloth.

If you masked the area well, you could spray a light coat of Krylon Crystal Clear to protect the refinished silver area.

It won't be a perfect match for chrome, but will have more sheen than silver paint.

If you are good with an Xacto Knife there is this too: http://www.bare-metal.com/

Professional Model maker experience sold separately :D
Hey I like the idea of having a go with the product from bare-metal.com and an Xacto knife. For the minimal cost it's worth a shot - I'll let you know how I get on....

Back