73 Mustang Bill's car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73MustangBill

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang convertible, restromod wit 87 drivetrain.
These are some pictures of my car after some body work and paint a few years ago. I can't get the camera out without my best friend wanting to be in the picture.

I've owned this car since 1996, paid $4800, and it was in pretty decent shape at that point, although a little rusty. I used it as my daily driver for many years, and a girlfriend liked it so much, she had to buy one herself (she was pretty self-centered). The wheel are 15 inchers, but close to the slotted mags of the day.

2vsraeh.jpg

73 Mustang with a mild restro-mod applied. The seats are out of a 87 that I got at a junkyard for $25. I had them and the rear bench recovered to look close to original. They are SO much more comfortable than the original concrete seats that didn't recline. They bolted right in without any modifications. I installed 3 point seat belts, and a modern sound system that plays MP3 discs. I put in a Vintage Air system, but I haven't finished the installation yet, so the air doesn't work right now. Note that I had to custom make the door inserts, since they don't make those anymore (or didn't when I redid the interior). They have a running horse graphic that is a nice little touch. Also note that the door lock buttons are missing, as I never lock my car. Hell, I rarely have the top up. I really need to put the boot cover on one of these days.

sd0dg4.jpg

The engine is a 302 HO block from a 1987, as built by the Engine Factory in New Jersey. I would NOT recommend them, as I had a lot of issues with my new engine. The engine is supposed to be good for 275 HP with headers (which I don't have), but I think many of the horses didn't make it into the engine. I have a friend that used to own a couple Aamco shops, and he and I rebuilt an AOD transmission for it, amazingly out of an 87. I recently changed the gearing from 2.79 to 3.40, which helped a lot, but it's still pretty slow. I consider her a cruiser, not a drag racer.

2eyxc7q.jpg

The wife and the little dog love going for rides down to the ice cream stand. If you hold the dog up in the airstream, it blows al the loose hair off of her. If you turn her around and put your fingers over her nose, she plays like a flute....

The Mustang shares a really nice garage with a 1979 Lotus Esprit.

s14xuq.jpg

2saz2iu.jpg

Welcome from West Texas, Bill! Awesome cars! ::thumb::

That's right, I said cars [plural]. I love Lotus Esprits almost as much as I love the '71-'73 Mustangs.

Hey, I moved your thread to this "Introductions" forum, because it's our tradition to have the first post show up there, so we can properly welcome you to the club. I know you started out in the Glamor Shots forum, so if you'd like to post up some more pics of the Mustang - Go For It. Can never have too many pics of awesome cars! ;) :D

Great looking vert! Is the Esprit yours? That's a rare JPS S2 and is worth quite a bit.

I am have a Lotus Esprit Turbo. Here is a picture of it on my website: www.lotusespritturbo.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Good looking car(s). I really like the personal touches of your mustang. I would love to see a close up of the running horse.

And do put on the boot. They look even better (hard to believe) with the boot on. It smooth's out the lines.

Welcome from a fellow 73 convert owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from West Central Florida! Nice Ponies you got there!
Thanks for all the welcomes. I'm in East Central Florida.

Yes, the Lotus JPS is mine. I also pulled off a stunning victory on EBay this week. I bought another Lotus Esprit for dirt cheap (the one on the right).

It suffered a little fire with the PO on Monday morning. Monday at noon, he listed the car on EBay. Tuesday, a friend told me about it, and I had purchased it by 3 pm. It was on a truck in Flint, MI on Wednesday at 5 pm, and in My Garage by 5 pm Friday. Car was $650, shipping was $950. I'm thinking of making it into a convertible.

I'll take pictures of the pony on the interior trim panel today.

Back