73' Mustang Coupe 429

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok... the whole point is that the Ford Racing was shut down in 1973 before they were to release a bunch of vehicles. The engine is a 73. So, I get that you can get the 302 2 v off of that vin. The point and situation that I am trying to find are people that know about this. Because I have run into 2 people now that have the story and information of the 12 coupe 429s that came out of factory labeled as other. How can this occur if there was no such thing as a 429 wedge built-in 1973.

There is no way Ford would roll a car out of the factory with a 429 in it and a 302 VIN.

It would be a violation of Federal Law ... the new emission laws were taking effect.

They would have crushed them before selling them

What does the door tag say

What rear end is in the car

What trans ya got

Sorry I think someone is pulling your leg

But it can still be a fun car

Ford ended production of the 429 in 1973. From what I can tell, they were still available as a Police Interceptor with the D2OE-AA heads, which had larger valves and smaller chambers than the heads on the car being discussed.

The only reason Ford usually had special runs of cars/engines was to meet some sanctioning body's requirements. Because Ford wasn't racing in 1973, I doubt if a run of twelve 429 equipped Mustangs happened.

Ok... the whole point is that the Ford Racing was shut down in 1973 before they were to release a bunch of vehicles. The engine is a 73. So, I get that you can get the 302 2 v off of that vin. The point and situation that I am trying to find are people that know about this. Because I have run into 2 people now that have the story and information of the 12 coupe 429s that came out of factory labeled as other. How can this occur if there was no such thing as a 429 wedge built-in 1973.

There is no way Ford would roll a car out of the factory with a 429 in it and a 302 VIN.

It would be a violation of Federal Law ... the new emission laws were taking effect.

They would have crushed them before selling them

What does the door tag say

What rear end is in the car

What trans ya got

Sorry I think someone is pulling your leg

But it can still be a fun car
What I was told was they were "snuck" out the back door before they could be crushed. 

Its in another state right now, cause I am traveling so I cant look at the door tag .

Let me post a pic of the rear end in a second.

it has a 3-speed stick with a manual choke. I believe that is the terminology, I am new to cars but I got this one on a deal I could not pass up.

OH yea and it is super super fast!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If such a thing happened why would they do it with the lowest performance 429 available? And, put a 3-speed stick in it? A 3-speed sounds like something from a pickup, or left over from the original 302 that came in the car originally. We need to know what transmission came in the car and what differential came in it and is currently in it.

I agree with Don, Ford would never do a backdoor release to the public of a car that shows one engine on the VIN and has another engine under the hood. It would be impossible to keep it secret and the EPA times would be horrendous.

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s absolutely no way it’s a 429 car, you have been fed a line of bs! The last 429 cars came off the line, here in Michigan in 71. If, and this is a big if, there were any 429’s to “sneak out the back door” that would have happened in 72, not 73. And that didn’t happen anyway. Sorry, but it sure sounds like 73 pony says, it’s a 460. Lots of dreamers and bs out there for sure. Don’t fall for it!

If I had a dollar for every "factory race car" story I've heard that was true, I'd literally have $2. By '73 the days of "out the back door" cars were long gone. It may very well be a car that was modified by a dealership for an exhibition team, or more likely a car that blew it's 302 and got a '73 429 donor engine out of a Torino or Montego.

IF Ford sold the cars to be used for a race team, they would be a "body in white", with no drivetrain and maybe enough parts to make them a roller and with no VIN. Most race cars started off as zero option 6 cylinder and 302 cars that were bought off the dealer's lot, much like the Polaris Drag Team car.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-71-mach-drag-racing-stories-and-others?page=2

Back