Windshield trim confusion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 351C-4V C6
In rebuild mode
Can someone please explain about windshield trim.

I have a 71 Mach 1 that came without the trim. In my research I have seen both two and three piece versions. In my official Ford car shop manual it shows a two piece that will fit the Mustang and Cougar models 63 and 65, no mention of a three piece. Searching CJ Pony Parts shows a two piece for a coupe and a three piece for a fastback. But in an auction on Ebay, I see a three piece that describes that it only fits a coupe and not a fastback. In this forum I have seen a three piece for a fastback. Is one better than the other?
Please help me Obi-Wan!

Thanks in advance,
James

A trick I've seen used is to loop fishing line around each clip and tape it to the windshield. As you install the trim, you pull on each individual clip and snap the molding in place.
Hemikiller, could you elaborate on this. Can’t visualize it.

Mine is 3 piece also, I have excellent side pieces available, but not the center piece. The windshields are different between Mach 1s and coupes/convertibles. As far as I know the bright trim is not interchangeable between them.

Hemikiller, could you elaborate on this. Can’t visualize it.

You create a loop for each clip, and slip the line between the clip and the a-pillar. When you install the trim, pull on the loop toward the center of the windshield, and it flexes the clip away from the a-pillar sheetmetal. Makes it easier to install the softer repop trim without damaging it. When you're finished, cut the line and pull it out.

You create a loop for each clip, and slip the line between the clip and the a-pillar. When you install the trim, pull on the loop toward the center of the windshield, and it flexes the clip away from the a-pillar sheetmetal. Makes it easier to install the softer repop trim without damaging it. When you're finished, cut the line and pull it out.
ah-HA! Explains it perfectly - thanks.

Back