73 Mustang Mach 1 Vinyl Top Rarity

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One huge mistake people make on any mustang is to wash it with running water. If the car was getting a vinyl roof they did not put lots of paint where the roof would go. Once there is a place for water to get in it stays wet. 

This car has it's original 3/4 vinyl roof and has not been washed in 28 years with running water. Nor has the paint been buffed. It sat in an open pole barn for 37 years and was never washed. 

I got the car out in February and took it apart and cleaned it and put back together in 10 weeks. 

The roof looks new and people that viewed it in the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum thought it was a new roof. I did polish the aluminum trim.

I used a leather preserver and wax shoe polish to bring out the color and it does look new. Use a tooth brush to get it into all the grain.

There are no bubbles under my roof I simply wipe with clear water and micro fiber towels never running water no reason to. 

The water gets into all the cracks and feeds the rust. Here are some pic of my roof as it looked coming out of the barn and as it looks today. 

I would for sure keep the vinyl roof but if you take it off I want to buy the trim across the top.

This car has not had the paint ever buffed and only Collinite carnauba paste wax used. No reason to wax a car but maybe once a year if you do not wash with soap and rub it off it stays there. Here is link to the paste wax but do not use on the vinyl roof will cause it to go milky. Keep away from hood black out also. Your car will get lots more attention with the vinyl roof than without.

Back when vinyl roofs were popular they sold treatments for them but this seems to work. 

If you want to pull the trim off the two center long pieces just pop off the plastic clips. Use a plastic trim removal tool. The two short pieces on the outer ends need to slide sideways off of the Tee post. DO NOT PRY THEM OFF. You slide toward the center and come right off. If they do not you are doing something wrong. You have to strip the anodize off the trim then polish and spray clear on to protect them and snap back on. 

https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Paste-Fleetwax-885-12/dp/B008KPDA1S/ref=pd_sbs_200_img_0/142-2152789-5628953?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B008KPDA1S&pd_rd_r=16fa579a-c9fd-457f-b356-5e53d8c24fe2&pd_rd_w=7R85i&pd_rd_wg=7paay&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=6MQ4G5WXD48E5B24588C&psc=1&refRID=6MQ4G5WXD48E5B24588C

Last edited by a moderator:
Back