1973 Mach1 project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1
Hello everyone. My name is Clint and I live in Houston Texas. I just bought a 73 Mach1. I had one in high school. Now 32 years later I have another one. This car needs a lot of love. Motor, both floor pans”I bought from CJ mustangs”. Needs carpet, seats redone,headliner. It does have the fold down rear seat. Body work on both quarter panels. Car was a half vinyl top car. Image.jpegIMG_0756.png

Welcome and congratulations! I bought a 1973 Mach 1 back in "75" (high school too). Car got wrecked, sold to a friend, restored, wrecked again and sat for many years. Bought it back a few years ago, collected all necessary parts and ready to start a total restoration. Time to give it some much needed love too.

They're time machines that take you back to that happy place. Good that you found this site, since many of us are in your same boat! Ask any questions and you'll get some good advice (plus a few quips too)...

Aside from the headliner, the interior doesn't look half bad. You even have the fold down seat, console, and factory steering wheel.

Welcome fellow Houstonian! I grew up in H Town but moved to League City 3 years ago. You can get a replacement dash pad in black from CJ Pony and the floor pans from near most vendors. All that is required for your restoration is $$$! For your engine, do you plan a build or getting a crate engine?

Clint - welcome to the forum, from another Texan. You are definitely in the right place. I wondered where she ended up. Nice grab, yes she needs to be saved but it will be a great journey!

So, it is a little rough here and there. I bet everyone in this forum has seen worse. The cool part is you get to see the Mustang become transformed into its original (or better) condition re: it being a thing of beauty. Step by painful step. I hope you post progress photos and descriptions re: what you are doing from time to time. While our 73 Mach 1 was being deeply re$tored Lynda aand I stopped by the shop once per week (with rare exceptions) to take progress ohotos. It was never done to goose the project along, and the folks seemed to appreciate having owners who were truly interested in their car - not just some guy dropping off some car he may get someday. Being part of the project tracking opened up some nice things, like bring able to select between two different hues of paint, how we wanted the blackout treatment to be done, and at times choice of underlying material (lead vs plastic for the seams - we chose lead despite costing far more).

Following are the progress photos put into a video:

https://youtu.be/y0MiVAFj_sQ

And the finished project on its last day in the shop:

https://youtu.be/_Fl0B-qmlLI

Back