73 Orig. Valve Covers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikhead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C
So, we have gotten everything that is 73 orig. We have a 351 C 2v, and are wondering if these are orig valve covers? We have seen one's that have been painted blue, and so are wondering if they just painted them or there are different options. If anyone knows that would be great.

View attachment 1N5A4743.jpg

I have a set of those. I believe the originals are stamped and painted blue with a big emissions sticker on one side. The set you have may have been sold over the counter by the Ford dealer.

I am not a concours type, so there should be more knowledgeable folks along soon

Aftermarket...Only finned aluminum valve cover ford made for the 351 was the 71 boss.....Those look to be early 1990's aftermarket valve covers too me....And no you cant just paint those one's...But you should be able to find some original blue ones for cheap ;) Im sure the person who put the carb and manifold on years ago..Put those valve covers on to make it all look very pretty...And was very popular to do...But now days people tend to go back original more and more.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 aftermarket, +1 blue painted stamped steel was original. I can take a picture if need be, they look nice on the garage floor while the finned aluminum look good on the car!

So, we have gotten everything that is 73 orig. We have a 351 C 2v, and are wondering if these are orig valve covers? We have seen one's that have been painted blue, and so are wondering if they just painted them or there are different options. If anyone knows that would be great.
Here's the ones that came with my car in 73

-jbojo

The valve covers on my 71 351c are stamped steel with "Power by Ford" in script raised letters. If i can use them on my 408 build i am going to powder coating them cast aluminum and have the raised script handpainted by a pinstripe artist in black. Should look good. If you need a set of stock valve pan covers let me know i may have another set in the garage.

Ah, ok! Thank you everyone for your posts! The picture defiantly helped! I will have to try and find some!

I think

71 - early 73 had the powered by ford logo

late 73 has just ford as they put the emmision decal on the rocker cover

I have a pair for sale.
how much would you be asking
P.M. sent.

I think

That's a good question? I thought the mid 70s 351M/400s just had the Ford logo on the valve covers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think

Yup...Mine is a late one...has no powered by ford on it..just plain ford emblem...Stickers are long gone on mine..lol

+1 on Don's post. I've even seen one 73 with one of each and it was the original engine, unmolested. Chuck

Back