73 power window question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6972boss

Reaction score
My Car
72 sport roof R code waiting to be finished. 67 and 69 shelby's are ahead of it.
Ok, I have a complete 73 power window set up but no 73 to put it in. I probably will have a 71 to put it in. Question is can I put the set up in and convert the switches to 71 style switches? Is the wire harness basically the same? Or would I be better off buying a 71 harness?

On my 72 harness the switch holder rear can be unclipped & hinged back to expose the wiring and switch pins. The wires are terminated in brass rings that slide over the switch pins. If the 73 switches are like that then it should be no problem to swap them. I can check when I get home later as I do possess one 73 switch.

Ok, I have a complete 73 power window set up but no 73 to put it in. I probably will have a 71 to put it in. Question is can I put the set up in and convert the switches to 71 style switches? Is the wire harness basically the same? Or would I be better off buying a 71 harness?
Not 100% sure but I have both I think the 73 is unique. Finding the wiring, bezels, bezel clips and everything for a 71-72 is tough. I am trying to get the clips made they cost $35.00 each if you can find and you need 6. People do not know how to take the bezel off the 71-72 and the just pry them off and break the clips.

Someone cut the rear switch sockets off the 71-72 set I have and been looking for over a year and have found nothing for sale. They have a set and won't part out. They still make the 73 switches and repo the 71-72.

All of the mechanical works are the same front and rear for all years. The front glass is different but the rear is same for roll up windows.

Here are the production numbers from Marti's Mustang by the Numbers.

1971 - 3,832

1972 - 3,560

1973 - 5,869

Cougar used the same system so probably lots more cougar with P.W. than Mustang.

If you are going to use them go to the WCC west coast cougar site and look at their video on how to take the rear pancake motors apart so you do not destroy them.

Latest posts

Back