73 Slots

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a pretty good price for today. I turned down this set at Charlotte in the spring for $100 went back the next day and they did not come back. I already had 4 sets in the hoard. They cost about $10.00 each at swap meets in the late 70's when people were changing them out. There are actually three different ones the center hole diameter is three different sizes depending on what vehicle they wen to. Maverick and Mustang same. Mercury had two larger center hole sizes.

If in the market I would jump on them if not bent. By the way they were not polished when new just high speed turned with diamond tool bits. The slots were milled and the back side had the forged finish. They were not cast but forged for safety reasons. Lots of Cragar mags that were cast broke back in the day. Old guys remember all this stuff, lol.

DSC_2291.JPG

I am not quite as old as you (53) but I remember the issues with various aftermarket "mags". They were cheap on the secondhand market back then, and my buddies and I had access to a tire changing machine so we tested various wheels and tires on a regular basis. I worked at several locations of Penn-Jersey Auto Stores in the late 70's into early 80's. People in the northeast US may remember that regional chain, very similar to Pep Boys. Did mostly parts counter sales, lots of parts testing on our own musclecars (heh), installation of tires and batteries, oil changes, tuneups, etc. The fully-equipped shop behind the parts store was officially closed but we did service anyway to bring in more $$$. Would have been sued into oblivion these days if there were any customer complaints. What I find fascinating in today's collector car climate is the amount of cars with all original parts including air cleaner assemblies, wheels, radios, exhaust manifolds, carbs, and so forth. These were the first things to go when we got a car back then! I don't believe I ever saw a daily driver musclecar with the original air cleaner assembly back in the 70's.

I am not quite as old as you (53) but I remember the issues with various aftermarket "mags". They were cheap on the secondhand market back then, and my buddies and I had access to a tire changing machine so we tested various wheels and tires on a regular basis. I worked at several locations of Penn-Jersey Auto Stores in the late 70's into early 80's. People in the northeast US may remember that regional chain, very similar to Pep Boys. Did mostly parts counter sales, lots of parts testing on our own musclecars (heh), installation of tires and batteries, oil changes, tuneups, etc. The fully-equipped shop behind the parts store was officially closed but we did service anyway to bring in more $$$. Would have been sued into oblivion these days if there were any customer complaints. What I find fascinating in today's collector car climate is the amount of cars with all original parts including air cleaner assemblies, wheels, radios, exhaust manifolds, carbs, and so forth. These were the first things to go when we got a car back then! I don't believe I ever saw a daily driver musclecar with the original air cleaner assembly back in the 70's.
Everybody wanted to be just a little different just like today. People buy a new car and start to change it.

Back