73 Vert w/only 3K Original Miles?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that yesterday and thought about posting it here. Could have sworn 73s never had the hockey stick stripes, so I guess that just confirms it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a Bulls**t car. No way that's a 3K car more like 103K. Stripes are wrong for a 73. I bet it's been painted at least once.

I saw that yesterday and thought about posting it here. Could have sworn 73s never had the hockey stick stripes, so I guess that just confirms it.

The hockey stick stripes were available in '73 and required the Exterior Decor Group option as well - just like 1972. Whoever ordered this one threw the option book at it. Be nice to see a Marti Report.

This was a common practice in '73, with the V8 Mustang, and the convertible, going away. There are a bunch of examples of dealerships ordering loaded to the hilt convertibles and sitting on them. IIRC, Bob Perkins has two, one blue and one green.

I would call BS on the "barn find" buzz word. It probably sat int he owner's garage.

Always hard to tell from a screen... would love to see under the car pics... The console ash tray cover looks worn. Battery cables changed out, host of other little tell tale signs in the engine bay. Definitely original paint. At least on the trunk lid... Hood blackout looks near perfect. That question of what air cleaner lid comes into play as it is not a chrome lid... Beautiful car none the less and unless they can verify the mileage, priced too high IMO.

What's this nonsense about the '73s never having hockey-stick style side stripes?

I know that "hockey stripes" get used a lot as, let's face it, they just look right on these cars, but I guess I did learn something new today!!

Thanks for the lesson.

Always hard to tell from a screen... would love to see under the car pics... The console ash tray cover looks worn. Battery cables changed out, host of other little tell tale signs in the engine bay. Definitely original paint. At least on the trunk lid... Hood blackout looks near perfect. That question of what air cleaner lid comes into play as it is not a chrome lid... Beautiful car none the less and unless they can verify the mileage, priced too high IMO.
From what I remember, the 73 Q codes did not come with the chrome air cleaner lid.  Car looks nice for sure.

Stripes were available and correctly explained how in a few earlier posts.

Ray

From what I remember, the 73 Q codes did not come with the chrome air cleaner lid.  Car looks nice for sure.

Ray
I would have to politely disagree with that thought... I believe early ‘73’s came with the chrome lid. My early November ‘72 built Q Code Coupe has the chrome lid and its original Ford label still affixed to it. I have had other Q Codes with chrome lids.

Ray
I would have to politely disagree with that thought... I believe early ‘73’s came with the chrome lid. My early November ‘72 built Q Code Coupe has the chrome lid and its original Ford label still affixed to it. I have had other Q Codes with chrome lids.
My February built Q code has its original painted lid.

I ordered a stripe kit yesterday. It was advertised as 1971-72 mach 1 kit. So.........some of the no 73's have the hockey stick is due to the way its been advertised. Advertising can make us believe what we are not sure of.

I say the car has more miles than that as well. Did they say where the barn was at? if its in Michigan than 10 miles on the salt roads and park it for 15 years? that will age the old girl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray
My February built Q code has its original painted lid.

I personally have never seen a 1973 Q with the chrome air cleaner. The Ford assembly line instructions do not show the double opening type air cleaner that they have, cold air on L.H. also. To run that air cleaner Ford would need to have ran the 40,000 mile federal test on the test track to qualify it. If they did not do the Ram Air for 73 Q I do not think they would do two air cleaners for the 4-V either. The chrome was sort of a part of the CJ, Cobra Jet lore that went away during late 1972 model run.

It might be possible that the air cleaner came from another Ford line of vehicles. Or could be made for one of the late 72 Q builds when Ford dropped the CJ designation and went with 4-V. 

I did finally find a chrome one for my 72 Q vert which has CJ on the Marti and not 4-V.

At least it doesn't have Mach 1 or Ram Air stickers on it.   :cool:

Looks like a nice enough car.  I agree that the engine compartment could/should be nicer, but it is what it is.  Not sure if it's worth $50K, but still looks like it could be a great find.

Hi All. I have owned many low mile 73's, one with 90 miles I bought from the original owner, Justin Rosen, who owned Rosen Novak Ford in Denver CO. He bought the car for himself (got a real nice discount I'm sure), knowing that there would (supposedly) never be any Ford convertibles for sale, at least not Mustangs, ever again. Based on my experience, I believe this cars' mileage to be correct. The stripes are original to this car. The paint looks to be 100% original. The car was absolutely loaded with options from the factory (the Marti Report would confirm). I have owned and sold probably eight 73s with between 90 and 15,000 miles. Even my 90 mile car had surface rust on many underside and engine components. I bet most looked that way after one year, even if they were stored inside. If you want original, that's what you get! The factory paint jobs were all crap. Paint runs all over the place, no protection from UV light, etc. Most air cleaner set ups had the painted lid. I have certainly seen some chrome lids. The only 1971-1973 351 motor that I know for absolute certainty to come with a chrome lid was the 1972 HO R code motor. I sold all of my low mileage cars for way too cheap. I was happy to make a few grand on any car I got for between $7,000 and $22,000. I agree this car is a little high on the price. It is at least worth $30,000. Maybe up to $38,000 to $40,000. It would probably be worth more as a 4 speed. I sold my 90 mile Bright Red/White/White convertible back in 2000 for $27,500, but it was an H code decor group car with A/C and pretty much no other options. The car shown here has many 1973 ONLY options such as the leather wrapped steering wheel (which appears flawless and is the first thing to wear, supporting the claim of the low mileage), the slotted aluminum wheels, the side strip that is unique in the way it is applied (notice that the hockey stripes continue down onto the front valance, a point that most people miss when they throw the stripes on a 73 but leave the whole front valance painted black or argent), the TU-TONE hood (Yes, that is a 1973 ONLY option, and it included the hood locks, the painted hood patch in black or argent, and the non-functional NASA hood). I would love to have this car if I did not already have so many projects that need to get finished. And back to the originality of the side stripes. If you look very closely at the lower body black paint, you'll notice that the break between the red and black is NOT paint, but a special decal with the pin stripe and a 1/2? inch wide piece of tape beneath it. What keeps this car from being a $50,000 car is that most people know you can build a car that looks like this one, with the same options, and has a bright red shiny coat of paint coated in clear that will shine and last forever (with the new technology in todays' paints), for less money. What makes this car far more valuable than all the other cars out there is the fact that it came from the factory with all these options and that incredibly beautiful all original interior and dash!! Try sourcing NOS door panels, NOS interior quarter panels, NOS dash bezels, NOS power window bezels, NOS emergency brake handle, an NOS dash pad, an NOS radio, NOS carpeting, NOS seat belts, and you will soon appreciate what really make this car valuable!

Back