74 cleveland heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71ponymaster

Reaction score
My Car
We have two 1971 Mach I's we are putting together for our kids and 1972 Mustang Convertible we are looking to sell. That is all we have in this era.
Hey all. Quick question. Got a set of '74 cleveland 2bl heads a guy is wantin info on before purchase an i cant find any info anywhere. They r d4ae aa. Open chamber of course an have the "2" in the top corner like all cleveland heads. Lookin for combustion chamber mainly. Valve size should b like all others

Hey all. Quick question. Got a set of '74 cleveland 2bl heads a guy is wantin info on before purchase an i cant find any info anywhere. They r d4ae aa. Open chamber of course an have the "2" in the top corner like all cleveland heads. Lookin for combustion chamber mainly. Valve size should b like all others
I don't think that these heads were on US produced cars. They appear to be 3V Clevo heads with the following specs:

* standard open chamber 2v head is 76.9 - 79.9cc

* stand valve in. 2.050

* stand valve ex. 1.659 in.

Maybe the other members can confirm as I am not completely sure.

EDIT: This should have been a Weekly Fun Question.

Finding conflicting info when I try to research this. Some say it's a 74 smog head made after the 351c run ended so it could be for a 351M/400 motor. As I mentioned before I am not sure what this exactly is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure the "M" heads do not have numbers in the top corners (2 or 4).

Another ID for M heads is a big, restrictive, easily seen "belly" in the exhaust port that Clevo heads do not have.

Well sounds like i may have stumped the experts out here. Lol

The "2" in the corner ive always been told is cleveland only

Well sounds like i may have stumped the experts out here. Lol

The "2" in the corner ive always been told is cleveland only
Just found this info about the "2" in the corner:

"All 351C cylinder heads have a number “2” or “4” cast into the upper corners of the head. Those casting marks identify the head as either a 351C 2V or 351C 4V head. Early production (MY1971-MY1974) M-block cylinder heads have either no mark in that spot, or a “2” like the 351C 2V heads. "

This is looking like a 74 "M" head vice Cleveland. Still researching though.

Thx jbojo. Thx to all. I can measure ports this evenin if that would help

I do know they look identical to a set of 71 clev heads i have right beside em. Sure didnt think modified looked so similar

Looking through George Reid's book, all of the US produced heads go from D0-D3 and then D5. He doesn't show a D4 for any 335 series. He states that there are obscure castings out there but the 74 heads had 73 castings.

Well u can tell george reid i have a set w d4 an em

Unless they test out to be closed chamber heads they are worthless IMO. I took a set off my 72. Ford should be required to buy them back from all owners.
That's a rather broad, sweeping statement to make, and I assume you're referring to 4V.

2V closed chamber heads didn't exist on American-production Fords; that's an Aussie-specific thing.

-Kurt

D4AE-AA is an open-chamber 2V head; simple as that. Here's one in the flesh:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-FORD-400-351C-CLEVELAND-2V-CYLINDER-HEAD-D4AE-/321503737778

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back