A Pretty Dumb Question...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351C H-code. AOD swap in progress
2000 Harley Softail Standard
So, I've had my '73 Mustang Convertible for most of my life (over 21 years now). It's always had the solid glass in the rear window. I've always unzipped the glass when putting the top up and down to keep it from getting broken. It just occurred to me that since these cars were designed for that glass originally, this may not be necessary.

So here's the dumb question after 21 years: can the top go up and down with the glass installed?

Thanks!
Jake

So, I've had my '73 Mustang Convertible for most of my life (over 21 years now). It's always had the solid glass in the rear window. I've always unzipped the glass when putting the top up and down to keep it from getting broken. It just occurred to me that since these cars were designed for that glass originally, this may not be necessary.

So here's the dumb question after 21 years: can the top go up and down with the glass installed?

Thanks!
Jake
I put mine down with the glass zipped. I do watch to see that a) nothing in the trunk that could get in the way, and b) watch that the glass clears the seat back on the way down. Sometimes it needs some jiggle to clear.

Good question. I’ve had my mustang listed as: Black Power Top w/Glass Backlight for 20+ years now and I’ve never unzipped it yet. I’ve been more concerned about ripping the stitching and hadn’t really thought about breaking the glass. Interested to seeing what others are doing.
Bob

Hi Jake,

The guys above have got it covered pretty well.

Unzipping/zipping was always a recommended option before you dropped or lowered your top, but at the same time, was not mandatory, and could be avoided if you so chose, without any glass damage happening. The owner always had an option in that sense. That said, i have never unzipped the top before lowering it, and have never had any issues as such.

In my case, i believe there are three golden rules to prevent glass breakage ..............................................

1. NEVER drop the top with (ANY OBJECT SOFT OR HARD) sitting in the well liner area, or under the well liner area that would make the well liner floor protrude upwards.
2. NEVER drop the top when the car is parked outside and is stationary, and there is a strong wind blowing in any direction. ( i did that, and busted my glass)
3. NEVER try to drop the top when your car is in motion, FORWARD OR REVERSE.

Lastly, i had a new Robbins top installed several years ago, and the black pinpoint fabric by design is thick, stiff and rigid, so every time i drop the top, i go to the trouble of stopping the dropping process halfway, then walking around the car and manually tucking in the folds as the top progressively goes back down to full drop travel. This helps position the glass correctly (avoiding potential breakage), and prevents any undue stress put on my glass and as well as the fabric. Definately worth going to the trouble to prevent potential damage. Softer chosen vinyl tops, should not present this potential problem from occurring.

Hope that helps,

Greg:)

Last edited:
+1 on the Robbins top. They are the best on the market. Only available in black for '71-'73 Mustangs (they used to make 'em in white, but they no longer do). My last two tops have been Robbins.

Thanks everyone! Good to know, now I just need to get the convertible top motor working so I can try it out.

All good Jake,

Might pay to think about your hydraulics as well (pistons and lines), as to what condition they might be in.

If they are original, it might pay you to consider upgrading the whole system as well as just the motor itself.
Just a friendly suggestion there.

Greg:)

I never thought about removing the zipped glass. The top goes up and down without error. I am glad to see so many other folks also have no problem. I got lucky. heh heh,.,,

The glass rear window on the Mustang convertible became available as an option in 1967. This was a significant development as it provided better visibility and insulation compared to the previous plastic versions. The power top and glass rear window remained optional through 1969. In 1970, the glass rear window and power top became standard. This was a response to the increasing demand for more convenient and comfortable convertible features. Ford had an industry first with the folding rear glass on the '67-70 Mustangs, allowing you to lower the top without unzipping the glass, which would fold as the top was lowered.
In '71, Ford released a new semi-flexible (Ford's description), single-piece tempered glass that flexed when the top was lowered. Like the folding glass version, the top could be lowered without unzipping the glass.
As others have posted, ensure nothing is stored in the well-liner area when lowering the top, and you should be good.
Once Ford no longer offered convertible tops as a service part, we used Robbins tops and never had any problems with installation or with how they folded or looked.

Thanks!
Jake
I've had my convertible about 20 years and have never unzipped the glass window either. Never a problem.

All I know is when the top on my baby gets dropped, something's getting unzipped. :cool:

Sorry - couldn't resist. :LOL:
Hi Eric,

Yeah, this topic is open for large lashings of added humor.

I had a new Robbins top installed several years ago, and the black pinpoint fabric by design is thick, stiff and rigid. Reminds me of me many years ago.:LOL:

You may recall going back around 10 years or so ago, this exact same topic was heavily dealt with on the Forum, debated, and the humorous jokes flew back then as well. All good fun i say!!

Greg:giggle:

as an older lady that most everything has dropped.... glad for this conversation. just in final 50 year make over stage. i've owned the car 41 years. Today was the first test drive over 30 MPH. thats another hard concept.Canada went metric 5years after she was made. Roof was down with no glass back installed yet. Mechanic had me up it down, reasoning was to prevent exhaust from coming back into the car, Any thoughts or experiences with that? will be keeping all the tips here

Back