Accusump oil pressure accumulator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Has anyone installed an oil pressure accumulator like the Accusump or Moroso?
The more I am racing my car the more I am thinking about it as insurance. I am looking at the 2qt model with electric valve. The valve is stupidly expensive but I prefer the electric valve than the hand valve.
Installation shouldn't be that hard. I think I should be able to use the port next to the filter that it is already in the block. Anyone know what NPT size this hole is? If that doesn't work then I will have to find a filter adapter.
As for the location of the cylinder, I am thinking in the space between the bumper and radiator. I may want to paint it black to make it less visible.

1661181648572.png

Either one is a good choice. The Moroso Accumulators are assembled fifty feet away from my desk. IIRC, the block port plug is 3/8" NPT.
That's great to know that it is 3/8" NPT since according to their instructions it should work. I was not liking the idea of using a oil filter adapter.

I had a two-quart Accusump with the electric valve in my Mach I for years. I mounted it in front of the radiator grill and used locally sources braided hoses with fittings. The switch was -really- nice since it allowed me to pre-lube the engine. I would turn the key ON, and it would open the valve. When pressure showed on my oil gauge, I'd then turn to START. When the key went to the OFF position, the valve would close, holding the pressurized oil in the accumulator.

I enjoyed it, though it -was- visible through the grill. Painting it a darker color would probably hide it better. Mine was plain, no color. You can see where it was mounted in the photo below.

I did not use the oil filter sandwich either. I used the oil port just above the oil filter. I also plumbed to the rear of the block where the oil pressure sending unit was.

Sorry for the late reply, but I at least finally got to it. :)

Asa JayIMG_20180526_181216896.jpg

I had a two-quart Accusump with the electric valve in my Mach I for years. I mounted it in front of the radiator grill and used locally sources braided hoses with fittings. The switch was -really- nice since it allowed me to pre-lube the engine. I would turn the key ON, and it would open the valve. When pressure showed on my oil gauge, I'd then turn to START. When the key went to the OFF position, the valve would close, holding the pressurized oil in the accumulator.

I enjoyed it, though it -was- visible through the grill. Painting it a darker color would probably hide it better. Mine was plain, no color. You can see where it was mounted in the photo below.

I did not use the oil filter sandwich either. I used the oil port just above the oil filter. I also plumbed to the rear of the block where the oil pressure sending unit was.

Sorry for the late reply, but I at least finally got to it. :)

Asa JayView attachment 67201
Thank you for your feedback. I think it can fit on front of the radiator behind the license plate. Maybe in black it will hide better.

I do think mounting it horizontally behind the bumper area may hide it better. I have to get my car back together before I can noodle new locations. When you get yours mounted, please post photos. I would be interested to see how you did it, and may copy you. :)

Asa Jay

Hey Tony.... I'm also going to be installing a accumulator soon.. torn between the 1 or 2 quart system.
How did you end up mounting yours? Are sandwich plates a bad idea?
Thanks yo!

Hey Tony.... I'm also going to be installing a accumulator soon.. torn between the 1 or 2 quart system.
How did you end up mounting yours? Are sandwich plates a bad idea?
Thanks yo!
I need to take pictures of my setup once finished. I got the 2 quarts system. I ended up installing it in between the front driver fender and apron. There is a big opening there and it fits perfectly at an angle with the valve at top. I run a -10 AN hose to the oil galley port next to the filter which is 3/8 NPT. I didn't find and didn't like the idea of the sandwich plate. I added a manual shut-off valve between the port and hose so I could manually shut it off just in case the system failed. It was a lot of work to get it done in a nice way. The routing of the hose is tight and the fittings to the oil port are also tight since you are going in between the fuel pump and oil filter. I have a large Robbmc fuel pump which makes things harder. I am running the EPC valve option at 35/40 psi. I have it all installed except that I want to build a protection shield for it. I have not run or tested it yet. It will be a while since right now winter is full on.
I will try to take some quick pictures tonight and post them.

Man that would be great. You have been an inspiration for my build.
Thank you Tony.

Here is the picture of the Accusump inside the front driver's side fender. It sits way forward of the tire. I still need to build a cover for it and the gauge at the bottom. The Accusump is attached by two clamps. The top clamp attaches to the panel behind the headlights onto existing holes. For the bottom clamp I fabricated a bracket from a bent flat brace angle. The feed wires goes to a switch I am adding in the instrument panel with another wire to a light that will lite when the Accusump is active due to oil pressure under 35 psi.
20230131_223144.jpg

Here is the oil line routing. The hose is an -10 Russel black nylon. The shut-off valve is a high temp valve from McMaster that is resistant to oil and pressures up to 200+ psi.
Accusump install.jpg

Here is my custom cover to protect the Accusump from road junk. I purchased a sheet of polycarbonate and then cut/bent it to fit. I wanted a clear cover so I can quickly see if there are any issues. Eventually I will make an ABS sheet that covers the front bottom from the front spoiler to the strut rod brace. The bent lip at the bottom of the Accusump cover will attach to the edge of the bottom cover. I left some larger opening between the apron and cover to let some air go through to help with brake cooling. I will make a similar cover for the other fender so the aerodynamics are symmetric.

20230221_224725.jpg

And here is the last piece of the puzzle. The switch to turn the Accusump pressure valve on. I added this switch into a Lighter bezel and located it next to the Lights switch. I custom ordered a round sticker with the word Accusump on it and cut it to fit over the bezel. It is not the exact font but it passes the "quick" look test. For the Accusump switch, I found one that fits inside the bezel with its own colored LED ring around it. When the switch is on, the ring turns blue. This means that the Accusump pressure valve has power. Then, when the pressure valve detects low pressure, it opens the solenoid so the Accusump discharges oil. At that time the LED ring turns red and my oil light will turn on as well. To achieve this fanciness I had to add a transistor that opens a path to ground with the pressure valve signal - just a few more wires.

20230224_000722m.jpg

Attachments

• 20230224_000722.jpg
    20230224_000722.jpg
    932 KB · Views: 0
Back