Advice trouble shooting my carb (stalling)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumit

Reaction score
My Car
1973 351c coupe
So embarrassingly I don't know much about carbs.

Its burning rich but the main issue is she stalls out when accelerating from a stop. Its almost like I can find the flat spot where chokes with the gas pedal. Sometimes It seems like if I give her more gas quicker she gets past the spot (but sometimes still stalls). Others if I start off slow and let her build up on her own through the intersection and then give her gas, the "spot" won't effect her. But like I say its hit and miss.

Does this seem like she could be flooding herself?

351c 2v

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The flat spot/stall on acceleration sounds like it could be an accelerator pump problem. The running rich is a separate problem. Chuck

Is your carb a Motorcraft 2100 series? If so I concur with the others who responded that your accelerator pump diaphragm has failed and is causing flat spot/stalling. If it is running rich your power valve is most likely leaking (very common).Power valves typically fail due to back fires through intake causing a rupture. This is a very simple carb rebuild as far as they go.

Ron

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I looked into it more and it totally sounds like my problem. I will be replacing it as soon as possible. You guys are the best.

Don't forget that anything with old rubber-like materials (e.g. elastomer) may degrade in ethanol-rich fuels. The accelerator pump uses a diaphragm (IIRC) that may have deteriorated.

Back