Air Filter Cover

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
‘73 convertible 302 2v
Good day all. Our '73 Mustang has a 302 2V. I've been trying to find an air filter, not having much luck. Here's what's in the car now.

The filter cover base measures 14.5" wide, lid measures 14.875" wide. The filter that's in it now (when I acquired the car) is a FRAM CA381 (11.25" O.D. x 9" I.D. x 1.8125" H). Parts shop says, "nope, that's the wrong filter, the filter should be CA324, must be the wrong filter cover". This filter will not fit in the cover. Online parts stores all quote filters that are larger than what I have.

Questions are (1) was there more than one size filter cover for these cars? (2) If not, what size filter cover should be on the car?

Attached is a pic of the progress towards putting things back as they where/should be. Previous owners where, shall we say "creative" in their maintenance and repairs attempts. The cover appears to be correct...but....that doesn't mean it is. What's here does match the exploded view in the second attachment.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_8388.JPG
    IMG_8388.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Exploded view.JPG
    Exploded view.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Good day all. Our '73 Mustang has a 302 2V. I've been trying to find an air filter, not having much luck. Here's what's in the car now.

The filter cover base measures 14.5" wide, lid measures 14.875" wide. The filter that's in it now (when I acquired the car) is a FRAM CA381 (11.25" O.D. x 9" I.D. x 1.8125" H). Parts shop says, "nope, that's the wrong filter, the filter should be CA324, must be the wrong filter cover". This filter will not fit in the cover. Online parts stores all quote filters that are larger than what I have.

Questions are (1) was there more than one size filter cover for these cars? (2) If not, what size filter cover should be on the car?

Attached is a pic of the progress towards putting things back as they where/should be. Previous owners where, shall we say "creative" in their maintenance and repairs attempts. The cover appears to be correct...but....that doesn't mean it is. What's here does match the exploded view in the second attachment.

Thanks in advance for the help.
The CA381 is correct for your 73 302. The parts shop bubbas need to do better looking up parts for their customers.

Back